• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Koryu Uchinadi

Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd never heard of the system before. Checking with Google, I copied this infor from http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/Default%202a.htm . Apparently if was founded by Pat McCarthy.

What is Koryu Uchinadi ®?

Koryu Uchinadi® is a personal collection & modern interpretation of those fragmented Qing Period (1644-1911) Fujian Chinese-based quanfa practices, once described as karate-jutsu, haphazardly introduced & secretly cultivated in Okinawa during the later part of the old Ryukyu Kingdom, later influenced by Japanese culture.

Systematized into a cohesive & application-based study, this signature delivery system is the result of my personal analyses of those principal teachings of karate pioneers: Kojo Taite (1837-1917) Aragaki Seisho (1840-1920) Xie Zhongxiang (1852-1930) Higashionna Kanryo (1853-1917) Hanashiro Chomo (1869-1945) Motobu Choki (1871-1944) Zhou Zhihe (1874-1926) Wu Xianhui (1886-1940) Tang Daiji (1887-1937) Kiyoda Juhatsu (1886-1967) Miao Xing (1881-1939) Oshiro Chojo (1887-1935) Richard Kim (1919-2001) and Kinjo Hiroshi (1919).

Moreover, Koryu Uchinadi® is also taught as a provocative alternative to conventional methods of physical fitness and stress management. Learning how to respond dispassionately to unwarranted aggression requires self-empowerment. Such training promotes an inner-calm and, where conflict exists, helps restore balance to personal and professional relationships. Koryu Uchinadi® is a non-competitive, totally application-based defensive practice, punctuated with moral philosophy and highlighted by introspective teaching as a comprehensive single study.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Shorinryu Sensei, any thoughts on McCathy? I've heard mostly good things about the man.

I met Mr. McCarthy years ago at a tournament in Great Falls, Montana. He was quite knowledgable and seemed like a pretty nice, every day sort of man. I called him once maybe a year later with a question about a system that was opening a school near here and he was very helpful and nice about it. I haven't seen or spoken to him since that time.

I can't really say that I know him, just met him (I met Ed parker once also)and spoke briefly with him. He's one of those "60's" karate pioneers like Chuck Norris and Bill Wallace. I have respect for his experience, but honestly don't have any knowledge of his martial arts background, what system he studied or who under.

I don't follow the national karate scene, so have no idea what Mr. McCarthy is doing these days. I believe he was an editor of a martial arts publication when I met him, but don't remember which one. I haven't heard anything bad about hiom, but like I say, I don't follow what's going on in those circles.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Basically, Koryuu means "Old style" (basically refers to a traditional martial art, not something modern) and "Uchinaadi" is the way to say Okinawa Te (Uchinaa = Okinawa, ti (di when it is part of a compound) = te) in Hogan, the Okinawan dialect of Japanese.

McCarthy has an excellent background in the Okinawan martial arts. I have never had the chance to meet him, but I would more than welcome the opportunity if I was ever so lucky. He also has a large collection of books that he has written on the subject of martial arts, some of which I have read.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/