• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

you are talking about very awesome weapons but...

dancin_ash

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

better than a flying kama.... you know, one with an actual razor sharp edge, and not chrome plated crap with lightening holes :)

Agreed! Personally, I don't train with real sharp weapons. I used to, but cut myself a few times, stabbed a hole in the ball of my right foot once (don't ask! :roll: ), and cut a few holes in my gi. Soooo...I stored my sharp weapons and opted for the exact same weapon in balance and feel...but not sharp. Trust me, I know when I make a mistake with them and would have cut myself or something else. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• 4 months later...

I just started the bo, and I've found that hitting bone (ankles, elbows, knees) with it hurts a bit. I hate to think of hitting anything with metal, or sai point. What exactly is a kama? From what I've found, it looks like a small scythe.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

• 2 weeks later...

though there are many resons for learning how to use weapons I think that one reson may be found in the name "martial arts" people have taken the use of weapons and turned it into an art form, a way of expressing yourself in a unique way.

just my thoughts....

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

Seriously i doubt that any of you will ever get into a real fight where you will have nun chucks and will use them to fight against 30 people, like bruce lee does in the movies.

If you want to talk about real weapons that you would use in real combat, real life and death situations. I will give you a list of a few...

Knife

Metal pipe

Baseball bat

Sticks

Glass Bottles

Belts

Chains

Guns (extreme circumstances)

And there are plenty more, that i can think off

- dancin_ash

Thanks for telling us what is wrong with our Bruce Lee movies and what is more accurate about your generation’s movies. Studies have proven that most people don’t carry a three-sectional staff to a Chinese restaurant any more, but there is always a metal pipe, chain and baseball bat in the alley when the gang comes out from behind the trash cans.

I think all of the real good answers have already been taken by the veterans on the board, so I’m not going to try to top their answers: for practice for improvised weapons, hand/eye coordination, tradition, hobby, exercise, concentration, etc.

the idea of martial arts is to concentrate the mind on one subject. it is seen as unifying the body and mind, a form of meditation.

learning the weapons, weather traditional or modern should be seen as meerly more of your training.

it all deppends on why you started and continue to learn martial arts

1: to learn to fight

2: to have a better understanding of your body and its limitations

if you participate for reason 1 then the learning of traditional weapons is pointless but if you participate for reason 2 then the 'mastering' of a weapon will further the knowledge that you have and will still gain

**** i do understand that it is impossible to master a weapon, i was meerly using it as an example****

you may freely give up your life, but never lose your honour

(talking about weapons for defensive purposes)

Every instructor I have ever had has taught that any priciples used in our kobudo training can extend to readily available instruments, and we usually take some time after some weapons training and use more 'real-life' implements to get used to the idea that what we're learning is not the weapon, but use of a weapon.

If you're in martial arts for self-preservation/defense do you seriously think that a series of events will happen as you've gone over it many times before in the dojo? Of course real life isn't as predictable as a paired defense. you're not learning exactly everything you need to know, you're learning the principles. That's why, in my dojo at least, we go over many defenses, then we'll do circle drills, and other practice where many people are around a single person and attack any way they can, and the 'center-man's' job is to defend him self using the principles we have taught them. A weapon is a weapon, that's pretty much all, anything can be a replacement for your precious shureido weapons, or any weapon for that matter can be replaced.

Martial arts weapons training pertains to the weapons that the people of old had at their time. If you want to complain that using nunchaku, tinbe or sai isn't practical, take five minutes and think about adapting to today. Anything that doesn't adapt dies out, that's how nature works, learn to adapt weapons to be anything you can use to defend yourself, anything will work for that purpose, it doens't need to look good, or be flashy, no need for a $100 graphite bo with holographic tape on it when a good ole' stick will do the job.

The one thing I'm trying to say is adapt, that's the key to any martial arts adaptation.

• 1 month later...

Shorin Ryu Sensei: I know you were not asking me but I know Sensei Rod, he was in Billings MT. when I last was out there---

He has been Kara-Ho longer than me, and that is awhile-

Take care,

Jamey