• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think earning your rank is more important than age. Meeting the requirements of respect, ability, self control and responsibility are very important.

I just watched an advanced testing session (both red and black belts testing) and the requirements got more complicated the higher you went. You could be asked to perform any form, any self defense technique, any sparring technique, any terminology, any variety of kick, punch or block, not to mention the oft-scorned board breaks.

In other words you had to be prepared to demonstrate proficiently anything you learned from the day you started training.

what goes around, comes around

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite personally, I train for self. When i am standing a front stance whilst, the little ones just kind of stand there, dumbfounded; i think to myself, "while the instructor corrects them, my muscles are getting stronger, i'm getting tougher, my stance is getting lower; i'm getting better." When i go to test, i'll be that much better, and the Som Ba Nims will notice me all the better. The people who aren't getting it, will eventually get it (hopefully) because it is easier to do right then to do it wrong.

Strength is no match for skill

• 2 weeks later...
as long as a child is mentally and physically ready for a black belt, then they deserve it. a Black belt is not given, it is earned and if a 10 year old is able to accomplish all that is needed, then he or she deserves the belt.

I agree, I've seen some spectacular younsters truly deserving of Black Belt rank, but I'm from Chicago as well :D

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

I think the problem people have with young black belts comes from a misplaced understanding of what black belts means. Earning a black belt simply means that you aren't a beginner any more... Anyone under 1st Dan is simply at the beginning stages of martial arts learning. After 1st Dan, we can start teaching the more advanced stuff. Too many people have this erroneous belief that Black Belt = Master. I agree that master ranks should have an age based component (there CAN'T be such a thing as a 15 year old Master). But I disagree that Black Belt should be age restricted. If you think it should, I think you have a misunderstanding of what the rank is about.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

I think the problem people have with young black belts comes from a misplaced understanding of what black belts means. Earning a black belt simply means that you aren't a beginner any more... Anyone under 1st Dan is simply at the beginning stages of martial arts learning. After 1st Dan, we can start teaching the more advanced stuff. Too many people have this erroneous belief that Black Belt = Master. I agree that master ranks should have an age based component (there CAN'T be such a thing as a 15 year old Master). But I disagree that Black Belt should be age restricted. If you think it should, I think you have a misunderstanding of what the rank is about.
Tang Soo!

Strength is no match for skill

Those of you who don't think children should be able to earn a black belt, what alternative do you propose? Children need goals to work for, and I think most people here would agree that MA's are excellent for children.

Some kids are highly motivated to strive for the Black Belt. I have a 10 year old Black Belt student who is truly amazing. Why should he not be awarded the Black Belt that EARNED?

--

Hmm..a touchy topic..but I do think an age rank should be put on a black belt...maybe they should have junior ranks or something. I was at a tournament today and saw a 6 year old black belt...a 6 year old black belt! I was like, holy cow, thtat kid must have gotten his in like 2 years. I definitely think that you should earn the respect, and be able to perform the task at hand, and if a 10 year old can dot hat, then fine, but I think a black belt comes with time, and maturity is part of being a black belt, something I just don't think any 6 year old has yet.