• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's 9:40 the next day.

OH CRAP...I SAID THAT?

LOL :lol:

I knew you wouldn't disappoint me! :P

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To give illustration for those exceptions to the rule, I was 2nd Dan at 13...got jumped in a bed part of town (about a year afterwards, so I was 14, but had not trained for nearly a year..im back now!) by two guys, probably late 20's. Granted, they were more interested in money and ran off before a serious threat would have, but I am sure I broke some ribs and one nose while only sustaining minor bruises. I didn't even have to tell my parents. So it depends on the student, not the age.

• 2 weeks later...

I began tkd when I was 6, and recieved my 1st degree black belt when I was 10.... I think that if someone is mentally and physically ready, they shouldn't be denied what they are capable of... Anyway, that's my two cents. By the way, I'm new... Hi guys! :)

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

I'm 15, and testing for my 3rd degree in a couple of weeks.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

The club that I'm in does not have an age limit nor is there a "junior" black belt rank...but the head master does a great job making sure that the standards are consistent so the few people under 16 - 18 years old who get their Black Belt really do deserve it.

A part of the BB test in our club is three sparring matches, and the junior candidates I've seen in these tests sparred adult Black Belts and were worked just as hard as the older folks.

I agree with Myst...it should not matter what the age of a Black Belt is as long as they have the skills (physical and mental) to be a Black Belt.

• 4 weeks later...

If a 10 year old can take our blackbelt test. With th ebeatings, and exhastion and other extremes, give them the gosh darn belt.

If i had to choose between karate and everything else, I would choose karate so i could beat up whoever made me make the decision and have everything else

All BB candidates must test in front of our grandmaster to get their BB not in front of the instructor and I think this is the way it should be for everyone because all of the younger BB's that I have seen in my martial art system are very disciplined and very respectful of themselves and the title that they hold.

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

okc_deputy16,

Belts are only given out as a reward for effort, subject to the beliefs and standards of those who present the belt.

As there is no universal “one size fits all” measurement for this effort (thank goodness), there will always be differences of opinion on what is deserving of a Black Belt.

I too think that GIVING a 10 y/o or a 13 y/o or a 25 y/o or a 35 y/o a black belt is a mistake, I feel that it should be earned, and retained through effort.

A black belt is just a black belt, who am I to question the validity of a piece of cloth? These are the questions you should be asking yourself. I Did.

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do