• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is an interesting thread.

In TKD, we do not award full black belts unless you are 16. However, there are kids who work there butts off from an early age. When that happens they test for their black belt and get awarded a Poom belt ( Basically a black and red belt ) They can even reach the different dan levels within the Poom belt. When they reach 16 they retake the BB test ( Although it is a shorter version than if an adult was taking it for the first time ) and get awarded their full Black Belt if they pass.

I think this is a good compromise solution. To hold someone back simply because of age is ridiculous in my opinion. I also don't believe in basing it on whether or not they can beat someone up. It's a measure of skill, dedication and ability. I've seen kids who have more heart and ability than most adults. COuld they beat up an "average" adult? Probably not. Could they get away from the average adult? That is what we teach them to do at that age and we pray it never comes up.

It comes down to your school's priorities. I am proud of all our Black Belts. I know they would never embarress the school and that they continue to learn and grow. Some schools do have McBelts. If those instructors can look at those students and not feel like they are cheating themselves and their art them it's shame on them.

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As krzychicano stated, our black belt candidates earn their black belt from the grandmaster himself and no-one else. There is a junior black belt, and when you reach a certain age (16 or 18 I'm not sure) you have to 'catch up' to the adult level black belt and test for that.

In my opinion, there shouldn't be an age limit. There is so much to learn to get to that level, and if the instructor deems that you know it well enough then you deserve to wear it.

My daughter just turned 9 and she is working towards her red belt. For a small girl, she can get some joint locks very well! Granted, she couldn't take out the 'average man' on the street who was seriously trying to harm her simply because she would be giving up 100 pounds to him but if he was just trying to grab her to get her in his car, look out! I expect that on her current pace, she could have her black belt when she is 11.

"The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be. " - Bruce Lee

It depends on what earning/having a black belt means.

I define a blackbelt as a goal and that goal has nothing to do with defense. Otherwise, there would only be one right? The king of the hill. The goal is improving one's self, one's likelihood of self defense/preservation, one's self-esteem, self respect andrespect for others, plus learning the curriculum.

Let's face it, systems are so varied that age limits alone could not dictate it properly. I have several 8 year old students that have been better than some 30 year old students. Who'd win that fight? :)

Martial arts isn't about fighting, that's why the word "art" is used. If I could beat up some of my systems masters. That doesn't diminish their journey or contribution to the system.

Remember, Ali was the greatest and he wasn't undefeated.

Found Kuk Sool and stopped looking!

• 4 weeks later...

I said this before and i will sayt it again, as long as they are mentally capable, TKD is acceptable for any age. We have some 5 yearolds who are amazing and can remember forms for weeks. also, some kids can't even tell their left from their right. Those kids should not be in our classes and they make clases dificult, but i really enjoy teaching the kids that can handle it. I am only 15 and about to test for my first degree black belt, but i am just as capable as some of the adults that are the same rank as me. Age is of no importance in a TKD studio

I said this before and i will sayt it again, as long as they are mentally capable, TKD is acceptable for any age. We have some 5 yearolds who are amazing and can remember forms for weeks. also, some kids can't even tell their left from their right. Those kids should not be in our classes and they make clases dificult, but i really enjoy teaching the kids that can handle it. I am only 15 and about to test for my first degree black belt, but i am just as capable as some of the adults that are the same rank as me. Age is of no importance in a TKD studio

I can understand your frustration. Teaching kids isn't easy. But we cannot pick and choose our students. If you have kids that do not know there right from left ( and I've had my share of those ) then teach them right from left. You can never tell who is going to love the art and become a great student in the long run and who isn't. Have patience One way to not get frustrated with kids is to make sure you do not have the same expectations for all the kids and to have small directed goals.

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

As krzychicano stated, our black belt candidates earn their black belt from the grandmaster himself and no-one else. There is a junior black belt, and when you reach a certain age (16 or 18 I'm not sure) you have to 'catch up' to the adult level black belt and test for that.

If you begin your black belt testing well before you turn 12, you first promote to a "junior" black belt. You're then expected to learn the rest of the material the adults learn, and get promoted to a "full" black belt.

If you don't start testing until you are almost, or after, 12 then you must learn all the material for an adult black belt.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

OMG im 14 and i have a 2nd degree im rele good it dont matter on the age just the experience.

When seen by the hawk, the rabbit's life is ended;when my arrow flies, my enemy is already dead.

This is an interesting thread.

In TKD, we do not award full black belts unless you are 16. However, there are kids who work there butts off from an early age. When that happens they test for their black belt and get awarded a Poom belt ( Basically a black and red belt ) They can even reach the different dan levels within the Poom belt. When they reach 16 they retake the BB test ( Although it is a shorter version than if an adult was taking it for the first time ) and get awarded their full Black Belt if they pass.

We do something similar. If you are under 15 and testing for your bb, you get a poom, which looks exactly like a regular dan belt. When you turn 15, you just keep your poom until you test for your next degree. Then you get the dan.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'