• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you guys think that the Martial Art community should start a age limit because I think that giving a 10 year old even a 13 year old a black belt is a mistake :-?

"It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live." - Sir Thomas Brown

I bring the pain hope you can take it-Cash Monroe

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys think that the Martial Art community should start a age limit because I think that giving a 10 year old even a 13 year old a black belt is a mistake :-?

HEAR, HEAR!!! I'll vote for that one! Uhhhh...where do I vote? :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

NO!!!

Much as I agree with you about not giving a 10 yr old a black belt, I believe less in controls, regulations and restrictions. That is where the real abuses would come in.

How about this- if you relly want to get away from the stigma of McBelts, throw yours out and train for the fun of training. I happen to be one of those superior snobs that doesn't care about belt levels. Mine's gray, matches my ghi.

Freedom isn't free!

Mine's gray, matches my ghi.

These are the guys you don't mess with (remember that kenpoists wear black, so a grey gi with a grey belt means he's got some experience or is just really bad with the washer and dryer). :D

I don't care for really young black belts but not enough to regulate it. IMO, 16 seems to be a good minimum age.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I don't see it written anywhere from the thread author that says anything about "controls" or "laws" governing this. Just a simple "(I) think that the Martial Art community should start a age limit". I, for one, agree with it, and feel that no one under the age of 16 has the maturity, regardless of the system, to be what I personally feel a black belt represents.

And yes of course, everybody has their views of what a black belt represents. I respect your opinions, as I hope you respect mine.

Simple....don't complicate the thread guys. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

(remember that kenpoists wear black, so a grey gi with a grey belt means he's got some experience or is just really bad with the washer and dryer).

I AM really BAD!

(with the washer and...)

:D

SS, putting restrictions on what another school or system can do regarding promotions sounds like reglation and control to me. And it would require some beaurocracy with authority to discipline in order to impliment. Have you ever seen a beaurocracy that did not expand it's influence and power, as well as abuseing it?

You probably run a quality school, and have standards, judging by your posts and obviouse knowlege here. So, I can see how the lack of standards in other schools (which reflects on what you do in others minds) bothers you. But the regulation trap is a proven slippery slope, and you as the competant instructor will end up at the bottom of that slope!

Freedom isn't free!

as long as a child is mentally and physically ready for a black belt, then they deserve it. a Black belt is not given, it is earned and if a 10 year old is able to accomplish all that is needed, then he or she deserves the belt.

delta1...I'm not saying put laws or rules on schools...but rather the schools or associations themselves take a look at how rediculious they look in the eyes of the majority of other martial artists, and the public in general, when a 6-10 year old is walking around wearing a BB.

Anyway, that's how I see it. I knew a guy that pronmoted a 6 year old to BB for crying out loud. Nobody can EVER convince me a child has the knowledge, experience and maturity to do what a BB...to me...represents.

This is the criteria I use to determine if a person is ready to receive his black belt from me:

1. Does the student possess the knowledge and skills to teach everything he/she knows to another person? Essentially, I feel a black belt should be able to pass on the knowledge they possess.

2. Do I believe the student is capable of successfully handle and "average" confrontation on the street?

3. Does the student possess the maturity, attitude and experience to handle the responsibility of wearing a BB?

4. Has the student demonstrated through attendence, effort and attitude in class that they deserve a black belt?

There are others, but I have a date to get ready for. :brow: I'm sure you get the idea. A kid just isn't going to have the maturity, experience, reflexes, strength or thought processes (ex-elementary teacher here) to handle what I believe a wearer of a black belt represents.

I do not disagree with you regarding the inherent flaw associated with giving children BBs. But... (always the but)... an age limit is essentially a rule. A rule, in and of itself, needs to be enforced. How would such a thing be enforced? The best i can see... is the button of shame.

I.e., are we talking about a reasonably large portion of the respected martial arts community, from a variety of disciplines, openly and formally condemning the practice of doling out BBs to children under 16? That's not necessarily an age limit, but it's the only semi-rational approach to having the 'martial arts community' (whatever that gets defined as) 'start' anything remotely addressing age limits.

Another thought is... majority rules. At the moment, quality instructors are a very small minority. It takes a tremendous amount of time to generate a quality-bred instructor, while it takes 2 years to pop out with a quantity-bred instructor. Continuing, a quality-focused instructor releases possibly one or two black belts a year (a generous assumption, mind you), while a quantity-focused would easily generate 10 to 50 black belts a year.

So... what would motivate the majority to adhere to the derisions of the minority?

And yes, i know it was just a simple question posed by okc_deputy16... but it's a loaded one.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro