• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I need to know more.....

Darth Bane ll

One thing I would like to recommend is that if you have just been learning techniques and not the concepts behind them, then you should re-evaluate your training. Yes, techniques are important, it is how you apply a concept to a combat situation. However, the principle behind it is more important. If you know the principle behind it, then you can improvise your techniques to an almost infinite number of combinations, all you have to do is keep your contact and energy with the opponent. Experiment with a willing partner (do techniques correctly but don't hurt him or her) and ask your teacher for advice.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you a shodan or higher? This isn't questioning your skill, but it is rather suggesting that maybe your teacher recognizes that you have learned these techniques well, and now your teacher wants you to "take the extra step" and start LEARNING rather than COPYING.

If I am totally off the mark, please let me know. If you are simply interested in learning different techniques from other styles because you want a different perspective of common martial arts principles, then email me from my profile (I'd prefer my real one, not a forum message) and I'd love to talk more in detail...but keep in mind, it is much harder to explain techniques in print than in person...

The only teacher I ever had was before I moved to SC. When my father was in the Air Force we moved around a lot so I could never stay in one place. Anyways I learned the MA from a friend named David. He tought me for two years before I moved from North Dakota down to SC. I have been on my own in training ever since. So in reality I have no real instructor. Soon however I hope to be joining a TKD Dojang and then I will have an instructor. I hope that clears up a lot. I cannot really tell what belt I hold. I had the skill of a blue belt when I left ND and its been two years since then so.....you guys be the judge on my skill level.

Fight in anger not out of it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Okay, then my original assertion remains. Until you have learned more than just the techniques, don't worry about learning too much more information. There are no such things as advanced techniques, just advanced interpretations of the basics.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I basically know all kicks,and hand strikes, some pins, and throws and thats it...... I will need someone to teach me anything else...but until then I will stick with what I know.

Fight in anger not out of it.

I think its great you use to train martial arts and then kept training on your own, but I would suggest to go join a good martial arts school. Dont worry about the what rank your at, worry about getting some awsome training. Rank is a wonderful motivator and is a great for classroom structure but its not going to save you on the street. Good Luck on your search for a training facility.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Tyr and find a GOOD martial arts school and stick with it.

Learning techniques correctly is more important than rank - it's also more important than the actual style that you are learning. There's no point in learning style "X" just because you think it is a good system if you have a bad instructor - you'd be better off switching to another style and learning from a competent instructor.

Keep on practicing at home - it's good to be entheusiastic about MA, and students that train at home as well as in class tend to do better in their training than those that just attend classes.

Good luck! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!