• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I need to know more.....

Darth Bane ll

I am training myself which has taken lots of time.....I have learned all tecniques up to black belt but nno matter where I look I cannot find any combos at all nor have I found any tecniques that are past black belt status. You know moves and combos that are taught after first dan and up? if any of you know please show me in some form whether by here, PM or e-mail. My email address is savage_crow2004@yahoo.com. I know its a wierd name but I had to make one up cause all my other ideas were taken..... all help is appreciated and excepted.

Fight in anger not out of it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Depends on association. I recommend you to ask your teacher - that's the best way to learn karate (of any style).

Self studying doesn't work. Go to a good Shotokan dojo (if you want to learn Shotokan) and join their beginner's class.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

One thing I would like to recommend is that if you have just been learning techniques and not the concepts behind them, then you should re-evaluate your training. Yes, techniques are important, it is how you apply a concept to a combat situation. However, the principle behind it is more important. If you know the principle behind it, then you can improvise your techniques to an almost infinite number of combinations, all you have to do is keep your contact and energy with the opponent. Experiment with a willing partner (do techniques correctly but don't hurt him or her) and ask your teacher for advice.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you a shodan or higher? This isn't questioning your skill, but it is rather suggesting that maybe your teacher recognizes that you have learned these techniques well, and now your teacher wants you to "take the extra step" and start LEARNING rather than COPYING.

If I am totally off the mark, please let me know. If you are simply interested in learning different techniques from other styles because you want a different perspective of common martial arts principles, then email me from my profile (I'd prefer my real one, not a forum message) and I'd love to talk more in detail...but keep in mind, it is much harder to explain techniques in print than in person...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

this is what sensei Darell Craig told us tonigh that

if you only know techniques and kumite, by the time you get old you are out ,the only way to stay in any MA to the end is to practice forms.

this is what sensei Darell Craig told us tonigh that

if you only know techniques and kumite, by the time you get old you are out ,the only way to stay in any MA to the end is to practice forms.

I believe you should recommend to your instructor that he might have a terminal case of rectalcranialinvertus, and seek the advice of a physician immediately. :D

I suppose you should define what you mean by "old" in a martial arts context? 50? 60? 70? 80?

Just to site an example, the late OSensei Soken Hohan of Okinawa, one of the greatest Masters of the arts in the 20th century (let's not start arguing about this, OK?) was 93 when he died. As I understand from students of his that I have worked with, OSensei taught his classes personally, and was able to bounce American servicemen (Navy & Marines in TOP physical condition) and his own Okinawan students around with ease...right into his late 80's before he retired.

Or are you talking about people in their 90's + ?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I think he was referring to the fact that if you can only mimic moves and not have a true understanding of martial arts, then when you get old, you can't do anything, because as you get old, you get weaker (which is why you need to get more efficient).

The fact that he mentioned if you only knew techniques and kumite exclusively, then you would be out of luck means that this isn't always the case. He then adds that forms are necessary (implying that if you did those, then you would have a broader understanding of martial arts and you wouldn't be "out").

I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt on this one...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/