• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

IsshinRyu credentials

Sasori_Te

Why do you think that "simplifying the system" is good ?

As for the differences in Sanchin kata, Isshin Ryu practices the breathing WAY to hard, and doesnt perform the punch with a twist, as well as the difference in the middle block, being more linear than circular. Sanchin kata is a form of "standing chi gung", as well as "moving zen"....The kata was designed to facilitate internal health, based on the proper chi gung breathing pattern (something that isnt supposed to be toyed with), as well as cultivate proper muscle tensioning. That proper tensioning cannot be achieved in the forearm area, due to the lack of the "twist" at the end of the punch. Sanchin, also known as "SamChien" or "Sambuden" in Chinese, is a version of "iron shirt" training (also known as Golden Bell).....It is imperative that to achieve the maximum benefit of this form, it must be practiced as it was designed to be practiced.....if changed, the best case scenario is that the practicioner will not get the most out of it....worst case is the possibility of internal damage from improper chi gung training.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the reason why Shimabukuro Tatsuo emphasized the vertical fist is because of the "sink" it naturally puts in your elbow. This "sink" is very important, yet many do not do this. From what I've been taught and what I've felt, this sink (whether it is in the punch, block, whatever) just helps to make your biomechanics better in addition to its grounding effect. You can still do the sink in the 45 degree punch, but the vertical one just emphasizes it more.

One way one of the kyoshi's that I met last summer would test your blocks would be that he would lean his entire body weight on it, and if your block collapsed, then you obviously aren't doing it right. To be fair, he let us try and sure enough, he would always be able to support us. I've found that sinking from the elbow (as opposed to a conscious, forcing down) really helps in this kind of support.

As I've no training in Taiji, so this is just conjecture, it sounds very familiar to a lot of the relaxed sinking at the joints that they do. As always, I could be totally wrong and be way out in left field, eating a ham sandwich.

[/end near tangent]

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Haveinfun

You also need to go and do some fact checking instead of blindly listening to Angi Uezu's hype. He was in Kichiro's organization when Kichiro was forging his father's signature. He was not Shimabuku's top student. From what I have read and seen (of course there are always two sides to every story) Angi Uezu didn't start until Don Nagle and those guys were already dan ranks. I can't remember the Okinawan guys name that was in line to inherit. I'll look again and post it later. But it was not Uezu.

I'm going to have to agree with Master Jules here. His diploma analogy was right on in my opinion. As I said before, I will be studying baji/ pigua as well as chen and yang taiji ch'aun. I want to get a better feel for some of the roots of Okinawan karate. I will also be concentrating more on my Goju Shorei Karate.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Sasori_te I have no reason not to believe Master Angi's story as he has told it.. or as you called it Hype. I have no reason to not beleive he trained under master shimabuku as well as with Kichiro's until his split and forming of O.I.K.K.A. (as for the number one student.. who knows... all I know is he thought he was :) )

One only needs to spend a few minutes looking to find multiple versions of the same story...all different(if you believe Kichiro was forging his father's signature , I guarntee you won't find that in the teachings of his system) . For me I go by what Master Angi has said in writing and thats the fact checking I have done...

The point was to try and answer some of your original questions... not debate about wether one style is more advanced then another, only to pass on what I was taught... be it politically correct of not...

Thank you for the insight on Sanchin... We do perform the Punches with a twist btw.