• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Simplified to perfection?

I know that Muay Thai is a very complex martial art, being the *science of eight limbs* as it is referred to, but one must admit that it is no as complex as say some karate systems or perhaps even HapKiDo which is supoosed to have thousands of different techniques.

jab, cross, hook, uppercut, bodyrip, directional elbows, knees, roundhouses, teeps, clinching and sweeping, as well as movement, obviously - i find it's simplicity so beautiful - The aim being to train in these small amount of techniques until u have basically perfected them...

Obviously it is a little more complicated than this, but does anyone disagree with me and believe that it's relatively small amount of techniques limit its effectiveness?

Rick :karate: :up:

RJT: 2nd Degree Black Belt Freestyle Kickboxer - 3rd Gup HapKiDoist - 6th Kyu Zen Go Shu KarateKa

Just Kick Them, They'll Understand...

-TBK

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I thought the same thing until I started classes in the last month. Now I know why a amateur boxer once handed me my azz when I spared with him.

I thought it would just be about combinations and perfecting techniques. But at least where I'm training it's a lot more than that. It's about tactics in the ring, what to do when someone is slipping your jab, how to slip theirs, tons of different combinations to use depending on the size, shape, style, ect... of your opponent. I'm starting to recognize things I see K-1 fighters do and boxers do that make sense now. But it is a lot more akward in practice than I had anticipated.

I think because of it's ties to real combat in present day times as opposed to other arts that spend a lot of time doing katas and shadow boxing, it's almost more complicated.

The complexity isn't in the number of techniques, but in the mechanics of doing them properly. For an obvious example, look at the thai roundhouse.

As for limiting it's effectiveness, no, it doesn't. Having fewer tools means that you can master them quickly, as you will repeatedly work the same techniques.

fear the man who practices one technique 10,000 times more than the man who practices 10,000 techniques one time...

Absolutely... Good answers.

RJT: 2nd Degree Black Belt Freestyle Kickboxer - 3rd Gup HapKiDoist - 6th Kyu Zen Go Shu KarateKa

-TBK

i agree with you in that it doesnt contain extraneous crap (like crecent kicks and stupid stuff like that) and thats one thing that makes it an art better for fighting than many others... but in a way its probably more complex than those fancier martial arts because its real.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

Mmmm, yeah, it's definately more combat orientated than most martial arts out there...

-TBK

Rick you have some of the best posts on here!!!!!!

I'm going to say that muay thai is straight to the point. There is more to it than alot of people think but it is plain and simple and I think that is what makes it very effective as a stand up art.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!