• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah, but that match was absolutely horrific. Royce got a huge payday for it for sure, but I (and I think many other MMA fans) would have much rather seen him in a fight vs Genki Sudo or another well trained middleweight.

He said it would prove that Jiu Jitsu would work against a 400lb man (which it did) but that being the case, I would have rather seen him fight Bob Sapp- THAT would have been much more impressive.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't reckon Judo is THAT useful to learn as self defence mainly because it is a sport.

BJJ is slightly sport oriented - so depending on the club - that idea is similar - TOO sporty. But if you get a good club then it'll be more rounded - Helio Gracie himself was attacked by someone with a gun and he managed to choke the guy out before he realised and didn't a shot off!

Krav Maga is a good self-defence system. it is what the Isdraeli army get taught!

Basically there is no full system out there in the Martial Arts - but there are some that are close - as in Ju Jitsu and BJJ. And some modern styles like Krav Maga won't steer you wrong either!

Good Luck

My answer will be biased here, but I do believe Judo can be useful on the streets. It's not because it is sport oriented that it cannot be street effective. Look at wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai/Kickboxing, all 'sports' but still very street effective. A good Judo throw in the streets could easily knock unconscious someone or injure them (or at least knock the wind out of them - leaving you time to finish them off).

My answer will be biased here, but I do believe Judo can be useful on the streets. It's not because it is sport oriented that it cannot be street effective. Look at wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai/Kickboxing, all 'sports' but still very street effective. A good Judo throw in the streets could easily knock unconscious someone or injure them (or at least knock the wind out of them - leaving you time to finish them off).

Gotta agree there. I mean all these sport arts have combat art parents, so they have street value. It's just a matter of getting into a position where you can hit that throw when the other guy is swinging fists or a blade.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness."

-The Book of the Void (A Book of Five Rings)

"Men don't start fights, but they do finish them."

Why can't people just see that certain arts have different purposes and just repect it? A football tackle or soccer kick to the shins are effective as well. All sports have combat parents, your right.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Fair point actually - I guess i should clarify what I meant - Just that a Ju Jitsu throw might be more effective - but then again - many of the throws are similar as Judo came from Ju Jitsu! Plus if youy dump someone on their back on concrete as many Judo players can do - then they may just have a bit of wind knocked out of them! ;-)

You can also Judo throw someone on to their head, which is the Jujutsu way.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

In my opinion, BJJ is the best art that there is once you hit the ground.

Many people say that they don't want to fight on the ground.....Well sometimes you have no choice....and for those that say that no one can take them down to the ground, I say that it's easier said than done.

I have trained in BJJ and yes, I can prevent the less experience practitioners from taking me down but I found it almost impossible to not be taken down by the veterans. Yes, they did teach a lot of sport techniques but they also taught a lot of techniques which would be useful in a real fight.

BJJ was lacking in strikes and limited in throws but it is an important part of an overall strategy to fighting.

What works works

Im downloading this really good bjj demo clip for self defence done by Rickson and Royler Gracie , it was done at a UFC championship or something, Im not downloading from the net, if I was I would give u's the addres.

Edited by jedimc
http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.