• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wats a really usefull martial arts for an actualy fight or streetfight. i heard BJJ and Judo were among the best and fast to learn. the area i live in, im hearing about abd things like people jumping and stuff, so i want tol prepare as soon as possible. im actually liking capoeira a lot and will continue to do it, but its not a martial arts that is easy to apply to a real life fight situation very easily. i heard BJJ was though. if anyone has information on BJJ, if uw ant, u can aim me at maddwraph or maddwraph with msn messenger. i jsut want to knwo some of the thigns like how long is the class, wat do u learn, is it as much of a workout as capoiera. thanks a bunch :brow:

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

i studied bjj for a long while and while i love it and i think it's a very effective sport i know there are flaws with it that make it (in my opinion) bad bad bad for street use. (i've heard a million arguments to the statements i will present but take my word for it.) one...you don't want a street fight to hit the ground, and you don't want to waste any time taking the person or people out...you don't know who else is waiting around to help the person and when it becomes two or three against one bjj isn't going to save you. (as you are on the ground and it's pretty hard to grapple with more than one person at a time.)

two...you know what...i could say more, i have multiple reasons as to why bjj is ineffective for street but i think one is enough, if you don't believe me read it again.

" The art of Kung Fu San Soo lies not in victory or defeat, but in the building of human character." Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo

BJJ will work just fine in a street fight, as many of it's students will testify. You're probably best off learning BJJ for a while, and then start your cross-training in a striking art such as Muay Thai or Boxing.

As far as multiple opponents, do a search on this or other forums to find out why a knowledge of grappling is necessary.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

wats a really usefull martial arts for an actualy fight or streetfight. i heard BJJ and Judo were among the best and fast to learn.

Yes BJJ can be fast to learn, but long time to master. Anyways I consider BJJ great in street fights great, actually BJJ alone in a street fighter (considering BJJ fighter as begginer) would be pretty weak.

I mean while you would be trying to do a lock he could just punch you and kick (remeber BJJ doesn't have punches and kicks, atleast here, so you would probably would not resist long against lots of punches and kicks), but join BJJ and some basic fighting instinct and BAM you're a dangerous fellow, throw in some punches and do a lock or a choke and it's KO or, as soon as you succesfully aplly a lock, start kicking and punching your oponent (without releasing the lock of course). But with pure BJJ, all I can think of doing is get to his back, chocke with his jacket or shirt if its baggy enough, keep moving so you don't get hit by you oponents elbow if he tries to escape the choke or hit you with his elbow.

About Judo I can't say if its easy to learn, you can easily the basic throws but... I think it would be hard for you to reach your oponent without getting too much hits but if you indeed completed a throw on him I'm sure it would be pretty much devasting especially if he dosen't know how to fall, if you're literally street-fighting, he would hit the cement ground and that would hurt... a lot.

Note: Please ignore my bad grammar and the kind, english it's not my native language

Edited by Edgard

does BJJ have a lot of throwing moves standing up? because i do capoiera and during the summer would want a good grappling martial arts for self defense purposes.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

does BJJ have a lot of throwing moves standing up? because i do capoiera and during the summer would want a good grappling martial arts for self defense purposes.

BJJ does have some throw moves(by some a mean few) ... It would probably vary from master to master, some might implement a little extra... if you're looking for throwing you should try to look up Judo.

Note:I must apolagize fot my english, what would you consider grapple? Judo focuses on throws but it also has ground moves, some instructors may even teach them in equal manner you need to know the way the instructor teaches. BJJ will focus mostly in locks and chokes (submissions) and a little bit of throw, I can't be sure if it's like that with every teacher in the world but mostly (nearly always actually) BJJ is that way

Judo with a little karate would not be bad as you could do a quick strike to the face to stun the opponent and then you go in and grab him and throw him and when hes on the ground kick him if you think hes not finished, as you are doing this you could throw him into his mates or throw him into a windshield or down a pile of stairs. a snap kick to the groin would also give you a bit of time to grab the opponent.

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

I do traditional Okinawan Jujitsu, and to me it is just as effective as Brazillian Jujitsu. But back to the topic, any kind of jujtisu would be a great aspect to your "bag of tricks" in a fight, because you never know, it's true..if you're in a fight with many people it's not good to go to the ground, but if you're up against one person, it's a great effective way to end a fight. Also, another good stand-up style should be added, and one style that will toughen you up and is highly reccomendd for any street fight, is muay thai. This incorporates the use of elbows, knees, and any other part of your body to disable your attacker. Good luck.