• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

judoka - please read

It could be that you may not have tucked your chin in or that you body is not used to it.

I think this is exactely what happened. I must have rolled over my head too much and aggravated some old neck injuries.

Or being it your first class, you can almost expect certain aches or discomfort. It is "new" to your body.

Yeah, I had expected some muscle pain, but I am actually not in bad shape, and the pain was not muscular!

I'll just be extra vigilant and pay close attention to proper technique.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ummm...just don't get paired up with someone who likes to do ippon seinogi and you should be pretty good :]

In a judo club that is going to be pretty hard as it is a bread and butter throw. Considering there are many hip throws not learning how to deal with them would be bad thing.

Anyways,

It does sound like improper rolling technique, however it's to be expected in the first few weeks. It's almost harder to go slow on the rolls but practice from the kneeling position should be fairly safe. Pretty soon you'll be able to roll over a row of classmates evil knievel style.

ummm...just don't get paired up with someone who likes to do ippon seinogi and you should be pretty good :]

Hehe.. we just did that in class last night. Fun, too! :P

It does sound like improper rolling technique

I think so, too. I'm nowhere near comfortable with falling, yet, but am getting loads better.

Pretty soon you'll be able to roll over a row of classmates evil knievel style.

I do hope so, though it still feels far far away. Rolling over one classmate is still scary enough for me :roll:

• 2 months later...
When I first started, it took a few classes to really understand how to hold my neck and not hurt myself. Part of it is just getting used to the shock. It will come. Ask your teacher to watch your falls to see what you can do to correct the concern...perhaps you're not tucking your chin enough, or you're too stiff...could be a multitude of things.

This is good advice (coming from a Judo beginner myself), when I started, I smacked my head pretty good. My instructor told me to tuck my chin to my chest while falling. It did worlds of good :)

Laurie F