• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

judoka - please read

I'm a karateka, and I figured I should learn how to fall properly. Hence I am contemplating joining a judo dojo and I attended my first ever judo class last night. Today my neck hurts like hell! Here's my question to all you judoka out there: If you started judo as an adult, did you experience neck pain / neck problems after your first few classes? Is that normal? I am asking because I have had some neck injuries in the past and am wondering whether maybe grappling arts are not for me with my rather weak neck..? Any thoughts on the matter?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ummm...just don't get paired up with someone who likes to do ippon seinogi and you should be pretty good :]

While I have no idea what seinogi is just yet I thank you for your reply. I had my second class and I feel much better after that one, so I think I'll be fine.

If your neck is hurting, you need to work on 'angling' your falls and rolls. Sounds like if you're either landing too straight on your back (causing a whiplash), or you are rolling 'across' your neck. This could cause a 'delayed-effect' injury to the neck very easily.

In a roll, your body should make contact with the ground 'across' your back. Visualize a line going across your back, from the pit of your arm to the rise of your opposite-side buttcheek. Now extend that further and visualize a semi-circular curve from the knife-edge of your hand, down your 'slightly bent' arm, across your back (as noted above), and down the back/side of your 'slightly bent' leg.

Your neck is 'never' supposed to be involved in any contact with the ground. It's job is to protect the head, by absorbing some of the bounce associated with ground impact. Also, it's a good idea to attempt to absorb to the 'side,' as opposed to front or back. If necessary to accomplish this, turn your head slightly. All of this will eventually need to be brought to a subconscious level.

Your neck pain may, however, also be associated with an increase or change in computer use. Lower your monitor so that the top of the monitor is even to, or slightly lower than, your eye level. Mice (trackballs not as much) also significantly aggravate the shoulder and neck.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Also, i have a personal concern. You indicated that it was your 'first' day in class. Did they pair you up with someone to throw or be thrown, or just focus on rolls and falls? By all rights, you should only be learning how to fall at this stage.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Thanks for your helpful explanation of the roll, WW! I think I indeed rolled too much over my head, instead of along the diagonal across my back. Also, extending this idea to the arm and leg makes the concept a lot clearer for me. Thank you.

Also, i have a personal concern. You indicated that it was your 'first' day in class. Did they pair you up with someone to throw or be thrown, or just focus on rolls and falls? By all rights, you should only be learning how to fall at this stage.

No, no. First class was on breakfalls and forward rolls from kneeling, then later crouching. The second class repeated these, then added falling forward from standing, then from standing over an obstacle, then with further reach, etc. I am quite pleased with the progression. It seems well thought out, and safety seems a big concern.

When I first started, it took a few classes to really understand how to hold my neck and not hurt myself. Part of it is just getting used to the shock. It will come. Ask your teacher to watch your falls to see what you can do to correct the concern...perhaps you're not tucking your chin enough, or you're too stiff...could be a multitude of things.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

oh i'm sorry, it sounded like a medical problem...yeah rolling wrong can hurt, especially back rolls off an elevated surface. You might consider building more muscle in that area to lessen the blow. Other than lifting, only experience will lessen the pain.

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown