• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which seisan kata is it?

Lost aussie

i have come from downunder to europe. In Australia i was taught the "standard" Seisan kata. Yet in my new dojo they practice a different kata. I know there is variations, but this completely different.

Quick rundown. It starts with the left foot going back into a deep sheiko daichi the forearms coming together and then 3 punches forward with the 3rd an age tzuki. Can anybody recognise this kata and give it a name. Why ask here? my german is not good, and i don´t want to look a complete ijit in the dojo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

you did not mention what style you been practicing before and what style now.

1- seisan(sesan) is common amoung most of the okinawan karate schools so there is no standard form

2-it may originated from shuri-te by bushi Matsumura

3-in shuri-te seisan starts with closed fist punch and block, in naha-te it can be open hand or closed fist punch at the begining.

4- all of them start with 3 punch/block

5- the key to recognition of seisan is at the end of first line ,when you turn back. in all the styles (that I am aware) you have 3 blocks ,one hand middle block palm up other hand low block palm down.

6- then in shuri-te you turn left for block and kick ,in Naha-te you turn right first

7- in shuri-te you have 2 hammer back fist comming from top of your head down to the middle

8- in shuri-te you have 4 of 180' turn in Naha-te you got 2, so shuri-te version is almost 2 times longer.

if you turn left into shiko-dachi then your kata continues in 90' !!?, how they come back to their center line? in first line of seisan you can see 3 steps either in front stance or sanchin-dachi .

good luck with new dojo, and allways ask from your sensei thats why he is there.

Sounds different, but a style would help. Sounds kinda-sorta like my I-ryu Seisan.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."