• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In one system that I had studied, the thumb was not "crossed" over, but pressed firmly on top of the index (pointing) finger. Another, for women, the finger tips were pressed hard into the hard-meaty section of the palm. Thus, keeping the "nails" from digging in the middle section of the palm. Then I had seen someone "tuck" in the thumb under the fingers. Though I had tried many on a hard surface, a mak board, or bag, the later seem to lose rigidity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We strike with the index and middle knuckles. To prevent damaging your knuckles and wrist, it is necessary to have proper bone alignment AND a tight fist. Tightening your fist not only makes the fist "harder," it also tenses the muscles that connect the hand and forearm thus causing the weapon to be more rigid. It's also important to make sure that the angle of your arm when making contact is apropriate for the target surface, or else you're likely to make contact with the wrong knuckles, or even the second knuckles (the ones pointing down when your fist is palm facing down).

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

In Isshin ryu, it is the index and middle finger knuckles, the fist is between verticle and 45-degrees rotation (roughly the angle of the inner edge of the ribs, in the area of the solar plexus), with the thumb stacked on top of the fist, bearing down on the 2nd joint of the index finger.

Having studied other types of fists in the past, I still find this the strongest I have used. Good bone alignment seems to give excellent support from the radius/ulna, through the wrist and into the hand, the chosen knuckles give good ability to drive through, while adapting to shifts in the target surface alignment.

In short... works great for my physical makeup.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

Can some explain the difference between a horizontal punch and verticle?

Is horizontal with the back of your hand pointing to the sky? And verticle with the back of your hand pointing outwards (right hand fist back of hand pointing to the right and the same for left except it points towards the left.)

I have herd that some styles only clench their fist just before hitting the target

In answer to your first question:

A vertical punch can best be defined as when your kunckles form a vertical line (toward the celing and floor).

*---------

*----------

*---------- (---- are fingers, * is knuckle)

*----------

*----------

In AK, we use this strike mainly for hitting the face - the hard bones in the skull with jack up your fist if you do it horizontally, which is when your knuckles line up on a horizontal (side to side) plane.

[ [ [ [ [

As for your second question:

In AK, the optimal punch is thus - you begin with your fist upside down, back of your hand toward the floor. It should not be tightly clenched, but mainly held loose. This will add to your speed. As you punch, you will rotate your hand to where the back is pointing at the roof as your arm extends. Try this in front of a mirror or something - the reason we do this is because it will keep your elbow from deviating out. At the last moment before impact, you will tighten your fist (providing snap and more power), as well as complete the rotation crisply (again, more power). And we all thought punching was easy...

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker