• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In some martial arts (e.g. karate), the first two large knuckles are used as the striking area for the fist. Others use the first three or even all the knuckles.

I heard that using the first two knuckles may actually be wrong because it tends to let the practitioner injure his/her wrist.

What do you think?

How do boxing, and other martial arts compare in the use of the fist?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

no, thats the way to do it (two knuckles). you only hurt your wrist if its not straight.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

yeah,the top two knuckles are supose to aline with the wrist(as told by my friend who takes karate).

Taekwondo uses all 4 knuckles.Mainly becuz when you punch your fist is sideways instead of sideways liek karate.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

In Wing Chun when we use the vertical fist rising strikes we use the bottom two knuckles (little finger and the one above). Not recommended for use on hard objects if your knuckles are not conditioned.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

In some martial arts (e.g. karate), the first two large knuckles are used as the striking area for the fist. Others use the first three or even all the knuckles.

I heard that using the first two knuckles may actually be wrong because it tends to let the practitioner injure his/her wrist.

What do you think?

How do boxing, and other martial arts compare in the use of the fist?

I've never heard that. However, if you are punching with a horizontal fist and punch with the bottom two as opposed to the bottom two, you stand a chance of breaking the pink finger.

Also, structurally, the vertical fist is the more "correct" way, but both are viable and effective.

Sevenstar,

Whoopsy! Yes, it is the 3 bottom knuckles icluding of course the pinky. Sometimes though the bottom two are used for more precise nerve center/vital point attacks where the fist "digs-in".

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

• 2 weeks later...

In American Kenpo, we use the first large two knuckles. To avoid hurting your wrist, move your thumb to the outside of the fist, pressing against your pointer finger (warning to beginners: Make very certain that you do not push the finger up with your thumb). This will pop out the tendon in your wrist (if you're skinny enough, you can see it) and make it virtually immovable. This also is a great defense against wristlocks.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

The wing chun punch using the bottom two knuckles is a vertical punch as opposed to the horizontal karate punch.

Much depends on how the punch is taught and the physical requirements of the puncher. Also the level of the target punched.