• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional Kumite Drills

Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What type of kumite drills do you use in your dojo? What is Motobu kumite?

Can you clarify this please? What is a kumite drill? Do you mean One Step sparring?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

motobu system has 12 pre-arranged kumite , they don’t do too much kata since sensei Motobu was not in favor of kata they practice Naihanchi shodan and Nidan

and stance is Okinawan Naihanchi-dachi, I motobu family system the middle block is higher (up to your face) and when you block you go totally into the opponent body, they try to block right at the elbow joint. Fighting stance is altered Naihanchi-dachi.

I know about these styles which have pre-arrenged kumiteh

motobu-ha, shito-ryu,matsubayashi-ryu, shorinryu sensei needs to come in here for other shorin ryu styles.

goju ryu also has something(kaki??not sure if it's kumite or waza)master Jules needs to come in for other naha-te styles.

The only "drills" we do for kumite are isolated kumite meaning just using hands one round, just using feet next round etc.

We also do randori which is alot lighter than kumite and the idea is to try new techniques that you need to work on.

I'm sure (but not positive) that Motobu kumite most likely refers to Motobu Choki rather than Motobu Choyu. Choyu got to inherit the family system while Choki had to fend for himself for his training. Consequently, he constantly made efforts to find out the balance between pure execution of techniques and the limitations that you have in not wanting to injure your partner. Therefore, if you want to find out more about Motobu kumite, look up Motobu Choki, as someone mentioned.

By the way, the higher blocks of the Motobu system seems characteristic of traditional Okinawan karate because the block is more of a directed attack (that happens to block at the same time). Viewed as a block, it seems absurdly high, but as they say, there are no blocks in karate...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Yeah. Kyoshi Sean Riley up in Denver really loves those. The speed, power, distance and timing that he applies on those really gained me a new appreciation for yakusoku kumite.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/