• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is hitting a heavy bag bare knuckle good for conditioning

Samurai Shotokan

What are you trying to condition? I suggest using bag gloves without wraps. If you have good lines in your wrists, then you won't hurt your wrists. I see no reason to scar and re-scar your knuckles on canvas.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what should I put in it?? small stones, rice or what is good and what am i supposed to do ? what strikes do I do into it ??

Please help

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

A heavy bag stuffed with rags is usually pretty good. The rags will settle after a few days of pounding, so you can stuff more in there. With a rag-filled bag, the bottom of the bag will be the hardest. There are also waterfilled bags, but I don't like those so much.

As far as pebbles, rice and sand... that is kung-fu movie stuff, i'd stay away from that.

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

How would you come about the knowledge that using pebbles, sand or rice is kung fu movie stuff?

Traditional training implements incorporate all of these things in their construction. Granted newer technology has superceded these devices but they are still valid training aids if that's what you have to work with.

Also, I noticed that you think there is no need to use a makiwara or, indeed, anything other than a heavy bag for training. It will take you a lot longer, if ever, to build up bone density hitting a heavy bag stuffed with rags than hitting a makiwara or a good leather covered HEAVY bag. I will agree with you on one point, I dislike handwraps. I think they give artificial feedback on how much force you can actually put into a punch.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

How would you come about the knowledge that using pebbles, sand or rice is kung fu movie stuff?

I've watched kung fu movies, that's how.

Also, as ripper said, why would you want to "build up bone density"? Is there science behind your claim that it actually does build up bone density?

Yes there is scientific evidence of this. And as I posted before, Not everything can be proven by science. Our understanding of how things work, even in the human body is still very limited.

As for the scientific proof that you ask for, it's very simple. If you break a bone it heals stronger in that area than it was before because of the added bone mass from the healing process (sort of like scar tissue on the bone.) If you punch an object , like a makiwara or an extremely solid heavy bag, you damage the bone tissue in the hand and arm slightly. These microscopic breaks heal themselves by adding more bone tissue. Over time you can cause problems for yourself if your training is too severe. You can develop certain forms of arthritis associated with this type of damage.

As for the kung fu movie stuff, I've watched firefighter movies before. Does that mean that ladders, hoses and trucks only exist in the movies as far as fire fighters are concerned? That's a bonehead argument. Try again.

Forgot something. As for why would you want to build up bone density, here's the answer. What would hurt more, getting hit with a wiffle ball bat or a regular baseball bat?

The weaker the bones, the weaker your strike has to be by neccessity. Also, denser bones in the knuckle area in particular add penetration to a punch.

Yes there is scientific evidence of this. And as I posted before, Not everything can be proven by science. Our understanding of how things work, even in the human body is still very limited.

Bone density can be measured, thus your claim can be tested. Where is this scientific evidence?

If you break a bone it heals stronger in that area than it was before because of the added bone mass from the healing process (sort of like scar tissue on the bone.)

But does the bone get denser? Those bones are more likely to break again, in reality.

What would hurt more, getting hit with a wiffle ball bat or a regular baseball bat?

This is not a very good analogy. Here is one that is a bit more accurate. What would hurt more, getting hit by a spruce baseball bat, or a douglas-fir bat?

In reality you are wrong. Depending on the type of break the bone gets stronger after it heals. To be more specific, I am referring to extremely microscopic breaks, more akin to bruising. The bones will add tissue to these damaged areas to strengthen them. Mainly this applies to the metacarpal/ phalangeal joints (knuckles). You can do the same to any bone by striking it lightly at first and gradually adding to the amount of force over time. This type of conditioning can be detrimental if carried to extremes. The calcium build up on the knuckles can cause arthritis and restricted movement. Supposedly bone cancer can also result, but I've never really seen any evidence to support this.

According to a doctor friend of mine, the only breaks that don't become stronger than the original bone are breaks in which the bone tissue is shattered. In these cases pins and screws are used to hold the bone together even after healing.