• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is hitting a heavy bag bare knuckle good for conditioning

Samurai Shotokan

I dont have any musical talents so and the computer is really not that big of a deal so the conditioning is still good and I dont have to worry about that

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Goju punch ends at the point of contact with a "twist"....during makawari traing, you hit until you break the skinn slightly, then allow time for it to heal completely before going back to it.....this not only calloses up the skin, but it will in time, cause minor breakage in the knuckles, and as calcium deposits form to heal it, the knuckles grow in size and hardness. In the beginning of your training...take it easy at first, and like anything else...bulid up to the hard stuff. Just remember...the harder you make your training ...the easier real life stuff will be for you to deal with.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

the surface of the bag will make some differences.

Canvas can be pretty unforgiving of errors.

Vinyl can be really slippery.

Leather is the best.

an 80 lb bag is a good one for starters,

especially if you are going bare knuckle.

You have gotten some good advice, and

could alternate between bare knuckle to

work on technique and GRADUALLY increase

your Power. Then alternate with a nice pair of

Bag gloves so you can do full out as well.

Remember - the key to any conditioning is

moderation. it takes years to condition the body

parts. External callouses are not the primary goal;

internal strengthening is more important and takes a longer time.

good luck and have fun!

Nicely detailed

heavy bag use gloves or at least a wrap. try punching a makiwara for conditioning.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

Samurai Shotokan,

If you are serious about conditioning then it might be worth your while to arrange a makiwara or at least a place where you can train with it. To heal the bruising and to protect your hand it will be a good idea to use a good quality dit dai jow lotion.

Like other people have said here in other posts, don´t rush your conditioning. Take it easy and be patient.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

strikeing a bucket full of sand with knife hands is good conditioning , or start with gardening soil then sand work up to pebbles whatever , i started doing that recently , hehe make sure your nails are cut and you dont care about your cuticles or whatever they are called cuz it will tear your hands up .

~Never retreat, Always advance to the rear.

strikeing a bucket full of sand with knife hands is good conditioning , or start with gardening soil then sand work up to pebbles whatever , i started doing that recently , hehe make sure your nails are cut and you dont care about your cuticles or whatever they are called cuz it will tear your hands up .

I believe rice also works.

Start off light and work your way up. I would suggest wraping your wrists. Wrist injuries are the worst, because they hold you back from training so try to avoid those and wrap.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I don't see why you want to condition your knuckles in the first place.

Maybe when you want to show off by breaking bricks and stuff, but otherwise?? Why take the risks on injuries?

In normal karate training you don't have to condition your knuckles. It's better to emphasize your training on other things.

Hitting a bag on itself is good training; just use gloves.

René