• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Check In

Sho-ju

I just started in Shotokan about 2 months ago. I'm just a sponge soaking up knowledge right now. After all the great posts in this thread, what could a white belt contribute? :lol:

You guys keep talking. I'm learning as fast as you can type. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

KillerMiller,

Take it as a very positive note. :) I think a lot of cross trainers are missing a lot of the essence that is present in the traditional martial arts, because they believe that more is better. I won´t say anymore because I don´t want to start a new thread. However, your idea of writing an article about this is great and I look forward to reading it.

Wing Chun Kuen Man :karate:

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

Thanks,

I have a pretty big article in the works now - stay tuned... I don't think I will mix in this concept in the present article, but it might fit in the next article or two I plan to write.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I began my training 10, almost 11 years ago, with Sensei Kenny Tam (Sandan at the time). I began grading in Jan of this year. I am currently a 6th kyu and working on refining my techniques. Currently I am training with Sensei Daphne Gill. The dojo is affiliated with the ISKF.

Our training consists of kihon, kata, and kumite like many dojos. We also incorporate self-defence locks throws, immobilizations, etc. and it helps that we share our dojo with a Rikodokan Judo club. (The one that went to international gold with Ronald Gill.)

Shotokan kata that we train in:

------------------------------------

Heian Shodan to Godan

Tekki Shodan to Sandan

Bassai Dai and Sho

Kanku Dai and Sho

Gojushiho Dai and Sho

Jion

Jitte

Ji'in

Meikyo

Nijushiho

Empi

Wankan

Sochin

Unsu

Hangetsu

Chinte

Gankaku

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Hi.

Trained in Shotokan for six years. Took a six year break when I moved out of country. Now that I am at university, I just started up again.

My dojo was quite fortunate. My Sensei was personal friends with the founders of the ISKA (he trained in Philadelphia--the ISKA headquarters--while going to University). Consequently, several of the directors would come down to Central America on "vacation", which was great for us.

I was a Shodan-HO (or 1st Ku Brown Belt). My dojo was a member of the ISKA.

Takayuki Mikami, (8th Dan) was my head sensei (he gave me my belt tests). John Nunez, Fifth Dan), was my regular sensei.

Right now at my university Shotokan Club (University of Victoria, BC, Canada) I am wearing a "white" belt for three months before putting on my Brown again. Ah well.

From White - Purple

Hien Shodan to Godan

(5)

Brown (3rd Ku): Tekki SHodan

Brown (2nd Ku): Bassia Dia

Brown (1st): Bassia

Black: Not sure, I moved a month before my test :(

We practice the standard Shotokan Kata, but the ones required to get to black belt are:

10th Kyu - 9th - Kihon Kata

9th Kyu - 8th - Heian Shodan

8th Kyu - 7th - Heian Nidan

7th Kyu - 6th - Heian Sandan

6th Kyu - 5th - Heian Yondan

5th Kyu - 4th - Heian Godan

4th Kyu - 3rd - Tekki Shodan

3rd Kyu - 2nd - Bassai Dai

2nd Kyu - 1st - Bassai Dai

1st - Shodan - Choice of: Jion, Bassai Dai, Hangestsu, Kanku Dai, Empi

I train at Keiko Shotokan Karate in Torbay, Devon. Our organisation is affiliated to the Open Circle Insitute. I cross train in Open Circle Fighting Methods.

We are very much into the research of Bunkai for Kata, we also do a lot of flow drills etc. as well as the usual Kihon, Kata, Kumite. We are not competition oriented and the only time I have competed in a 'competition' is the Annual in-house Christmas Gala we hold.

Cheers

Angela

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Just wanted to start a thread for shotokan karateka....

How long you been training, with who, what kata's do you study, have you cross trained at all?

I started training in 1994 under the direction of Master John Graden , Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, and Mr. Joe Lewis in St. Petersburg, Florida. I am currently 51 y/o and continue to compete in the NASKA/FLMA florida circuit in the Executive Men's Black Belt Division. My primary style/discipline has been ITF style of Tae Kwon Do with occasional classes in shootfighting, Shotokan, Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu, and Kempo. Am I crossed trained? Probably not...but I have some exposure to other disciplines when competing against other non-TKD stylists. My usual winning Kata has and will remain Bassai Dai (Major) which is traditionally a Shotokan form. Good luck to you and never give up.

Peace

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

I'm new to the site and also relatively new in karate. I'm currently a gold belt in shotokan.

My katas are

taikyoko shodan

heian shodan

heian nidan

I also train in some judo/brazilian jiu-jitsu. this site really interests me because i haven't found the wealth of knowledge shown here in any other single site. I have great respect for those of you who have trained longer and any tips would be greatly helpful. I am currently looking to build a makiwara to help strengthen my basic techniques.

pericles

I train individually as well as traditionally in a dojo. My training partner is six ft. four, and i am 5 ft. 7. this is causing me to develop some bad habits in my form (taking a more passive stance and relying to heavily on kicks.) any advice on how to continue my individual training (which has allowed me to learn much more quickly) while breaking these habits?