• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Part Time MA School -- Owner Time Requirements

TMAA

Hi All,

I have been considering opening a school in my small town. I am planning to teach a beginner kids class, an advanced kids class and an adult class. Each group would meet two or three times per week, for about an hour each.

I wanted to ask how many of you have similar situations, with a regular job during the day, and MA school in the evening. Having been a student for years, I'm used to the time commitment involved in training regularly, but how much more time will I need to spend when I go from student to owner?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Derek

TMAA

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hi All,

I have been considering opening a school in my small town. I am planning to teach a beginner kids class, an advanced kids class and an adult class. Each group would meet two or three times per week, for about an hour each.

I wanted to ask how many of you have similar situations, with a regular job during the day, and MA school in the evening. Having been a student for years, I'm used to the time commitment involved in training regularly, but how much more time will I need to spend when I go from student to owner?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Derek

TMAA

Of course everybody will have different ideas on this, but what worked well for me was combining the beginning/advanced kids class for 1.5 hours right after school if possible with your regular job, and adults 2- 2 hour classes/week. I foudn that Mondays and Thursdays are the best nights for teaching, so if you can have all of your classes on those nights, you only tie up two nights/week.

Start the kids class at maybe 4:00 if you can, then the adults at 6:00. it all depends on what tiem you get home from your regular job.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Hm..ill tell you how my grandmaster runs his dojo..i dont know if it'll give any advice but il lgive it a shot.

Mon-Saturday my master opens his Dojo from 10am to 8pm,one hour classes.During the morning usually college students and adults come.Afternoon classes adults and children,night classes are same as afternoon.He opens the school 6 times a day and lets whoever come whenver.

My master always does sumthing at the last 10 minutes of class.Mon and tues he teaches grapple moves.Different kind of grapples depending on belt lvl.Wendsdays he gets out a punching bag to test our kick power and speed.thrusday-Saturday last 10 minutes of class we pair up and spar.Of course before doing all these we do our forms everyday.

After the last class of the day(the one i go to),my master stays around for people to either spar,or just practice whutever they want.

Hope this helps a bit :]

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

I have been teaching "part-time" for about 14 - 15 years now, and it can very easliy "creep" into almost full time. I found myself starting out teaching 2 times a week, and it became 5 times a week. Get a plan, get it to work, and stick to it. It helps to have a written plan, such as belt requirements charts, so students can refer to them as well as your instructors. Also, do not forget your higher ranked students, as they will be your instructors. Make sure that you make time for them to train as well. I found that an instructors only class was a big hit with the senior students. Good luck and let us know how it goes! Network with the local martial arts community as well. Attend events and let people know who you are!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

White Tiger and chalkiusa are singing the same song that I know.

Make a plan and stick with it, otherwise you will have a second full time job. I'd say that if you're going to teach properly and not off the cuff, you'll probably put in about twice as much time going from student to teacher each week.

Good Luck!

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I agree with everyone here about having a plan. I was in a similar situation... small town, teaching part time. My school came about as a favor to a dance studio that my family is involved with, and I went in expecting to teach for few eeks until they could find a permanet program. They enjoyed my teaching style, and asked me to build my own program... next thing I know, I go from a handful of students that I'm teaching twonights a week, to a huge time commitment. I don't want that to scare you, but like everyone else said... HAVE A PLAN! Have it before you start anything, and stick to it!

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.