• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I current am Studying Taekwon-Do and when i achieve my Black Belt, i am hoping to continue my TKD Training, but also start up Jeet Kune Do (Im a massive follower and fan of Bruce Lee)

What are the advantages of Jeet Kune Do, Will it be easy, yet not affect the Techniques i do in Taekwon-Do, and is it worth doing, or should i just devote all my time into Taekwon-Do?

Federation: ITF Australia

School: Bai Rui

Previous Instructors: Master Paul Cutler (8th Degree), Mr Charles Birch (6th Degree), Mr Jason Kee (2nd Degree)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jeet Kune Do is more of a mindset and way of life than a new art. There are few actual JKD dojos, and even fewer that do not exploit the name. My advice would be to study JKD as much as possible through Lee's literature and videos, then apply it. Absorb information that is useful and forget all that is not.

The advantages like the art itself are limited only by yourself. If you train and study hard, you will reap the benefits like in anything else.

It will not be easy, or at least should not be...ever. If training becomes easy, it needs to become more difficult. :wink:

If you Taekwond-do techniques truely work for you, then no, they will not be negatively affected. Lee put out some very useful pointers on kicking that you might be interested in.

Should you devote all of your time to practicing Taekwon-do? That is for you alone to decide. I would suggest you look into JKD as much as possible...you can use aspects of it in any martial art, and in any part of life.

If you do not limit yourself to a set style or way, and if you train hard and believe in yourself, you are already a practitioner of JKD my friend.Good luck!

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

alright chris.

you chose tae kwon do and sounds like you like giving it your all. thats very good.

now as for JKD....it is a different "bruce lee mehtod". if you join in JKD practice it and give it your all also. now i would advice if you dont have it to buy the book called tao of jeet kune do. now dont just flip the pages and look and read and skip another and read learn and skip.no...no.....

read the book and read one page per day and understand all the page and the technique. understand what bruce lee meant in his fighting method. be patient and learn what you read. i fully recommended. 8)

Even the most powerful human being has a limited sphere of strength. Draw him outside of that sphere and into your own, and his strength will dissipate.

• 2 weeks later...

yes apply JKD to your tkd, when you make the choice to move on to another school find one that includes the grappling arts as well as the stand up and apply the JKD to that also. Good Luck

Remember be open minded and well rounded, think outside of the box

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Go read the post "Looking for a JKD school" or something to that nature in this forum.

I posted a paragraph about what Bruce said about JKD. Also I posted the link to the entire documentary Bruce Lee wrote on JKD. Not a very long read but you'll understand JKD isn't a style or a certain system, though Bruce had his own personal methods. The methods he used were for his expression as a martial artist, but your expression will be totally different. Your foundation is TKD Bruce's was Wing Chun.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

JKD is good because it gives you all the techniques in one place. However, if you want to learn what Bruce really wanted people to learn then you could just go to several different kinds of schools. Boxing, mui tai, judo, jujistu, wrestling, TKD, ect. That's basically what JKD is, a blend of some of the techniques from various ma. The advantage of JKD is that you don't have to learn all the stuff that doesn't really work. Plus it seems more for actually defense than a more common ritualistic ma(compared to say TKD, no disrespect to JKD practitioners). So if you can't find a school, you can still learn JKD, just one style at a time.

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown