blocks and counters for backkick in sparring

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, go in with a fake, and if he uses a back kick, or spinning hook kick, just use a back step, and counter with some jump foward roundhouse kick.

Perhaps you can go with the side step idea, and then get close and punch him, or side step and then surprise him with kicks.

It takes timing, and you have to stay focused and relaxed.

Another note. Keep your eyes on your opponents feet, if somehow, your opponent has his rear leg shifted behind his front leg in a line, instead of a perfect 90 degree L-shaped fighting stance, it means he plans to turn around with a back or spinning hook kick. You can use this little strategy for timing your counter. Don't rely on it always though, your opponent might be smart enough to hide his/her back kick intentions.

If you take a crooked path and have to go through a cliff. Either hope there is a bridge, or learn to fly.

Or you can fake a kick a drop completely tp the floor. If done right, it will appear that you had "disappeared".

And if done wrong you'll catch the kick in the face instead of the body as you are dropping out of sight. :D

There's a 5th Degree I spar every now and then that uses that technique quite a bit. Usually, it's a spin back kick with the rear leg. My defense against that one is to pull in my guard to cover the middle body, absorb the blow and counter with multiple kicks as I chase him across the ring.

You see, most guys that deliver a back kick (whether turning in the front shoulder and kicking with the front leg or spinning with the rear leg) don't follow with anything else and push themselves away after they kick to get out of range of a counter attack. That's why I push my weight forward and chase him because he's vunerable with his back to me.

Of course, whenever I find I can't move out of the way or block a certain technique I resolve myself to take the hit and counter immediately. This usually works in competition as an immediate counter can negate a point by your opponent or it may cause a judge to miss the opponents strike if it doesn't look like they landed it hard enough to count.

Hook kicks are a different story. Normally not effective to the body so look for it to be aimed at your head. I like the hook kick myself because it is a kick that travels in two directions. Straight in like a side kick, then horizontally across your opponent. Plus, you can snap off a roundhouse at the end of it if you keep it in the air.

One way to defend both kicks is to lean the body out of range while using front leg techniques. I'd bet your opponent uses that back kick most of the time you throw a back leg kick because the turning of your body opens up the body mass.

"One who controls himself is stronger than one who controls others."

OK, here is what I do. Actually, here is what I did.

I'm posting some video clips of me competing at USTU Sr Nationals in 2003. I'm in BLUE. This video shows how I handeled my opponent's back kicks and spinning kicks. On some I counter his kick. On others I just avoid. Some he throws his kick as a counter to my attack but I still avoid getting nailed.

I'm in the blue hogo.

http://www.livaudaisnet.com/mafit/spinouts.wmv

Don't expect Hollywood!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Keldog,

The guy I has seen do it, his skill and timing with it is impeccable. I have yet to see someone "catch" his face. of course, he does it against on spinning and "aerial" tactics

Only kidding, 47. :lol:

When someone makes a suggestion of a move I picture myself trying it. And catching it in the face would probably be the result. :bawling:

"One who controls himself is stronger than one who controls others."

Seriously kicks...no offense meant here, but you have no idea how badly you'd be torn apart at a open/all style tournament fighting that way. I've seen this before at other stictly TKD tournaments, where the peoples arms are just dangling at their sides. Might as well be armless for all they are doing.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Agreed. It's important to maintain proper guard (defensive/offensive readiness) at all times during sparring and competition. Don't allow the 'overprotective' rules of a competition encourage bad habits.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

In that last clip where my arm were down I was baiting him to attack. That was the end of round three and I had his timing down and I saw that he was exhausted and would not be able to hit me. It's quit the opposite from the beginning of the fight, but you wouldn't know that by only viewing the few clips I posted.

I had second thoughts about even including that clip knowing it would bring forth critizism. But what you don't know about me and what I am capable of is always to my advantage. You only saw a very, very small portion of the match, yet you make assumptions, again. Seriously Shorinryu Sensei...no offense meant here, but why do you do that?

Try making this assumption about me. I know what I'm doing. If I drop my arms, there's a reason and I feel safe doing so. When I competed in an open tournament there were rules and I played by those rules, and I won. I bet you didn't know that when you said "you have no idea how badly you'd be torn apart at a open/all style tournament fighting that way". I compete to match the style and rules of competition. Grant me the credit for knowing how to compete and when to use the techniques I use.

My posting of those clips were to aid in giving suggestion to someone looking for ideas on avoiding or countering a technique, not to open a forum on wheather I know what I'm doing or not.

Oh, by the way, no offense taken. You are right about fighting with arms down in an open tournament would be a bad idea. That's why I didn't do it when I won the one I competed in.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Sorry if I sounded critical kicks...it was more of an observation on my part as a long time martial artist and tournament referee. I know that in your type of tournaments that the head isn't considered a target for hand strikes, and the groin isn't at all, and all I meant was what I said. Do that same sort of sparring in an open tournament, tired or not, and you wouldn't make it past your first opponent in any open tournament that I've attended, especially in the black belt division.

And yes, it was off-topic..sorry for that.

Different strokes.....

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"