• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

blocks and counters for backkick in sparring

To quote a wise friend "OH CRAP...I SAID THAT? "

I knew I should have finished that cup of coffee before I replied. :wink:

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay so i like this advice.

i know three things about his sparring

his favorie move is a back kick

his second favorite is a hook kick to the head

and as for the watching the feet thing, HIS FEET ARE\\\WAYS in that akward looking way when setting up for a backkick, even when he bounces.

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

and as for the watching the feet thing, HIS FEET ARE\\\WAYS in that akward looking way when setting up for a backkick, even when he bounces.

Does your style allow hand strikes to the head? If so, I wouuldn't concentrate on his feet and lose focus on his hands. I like to look at my opponents shoulders to indicate what kick might be coming. It's not 100% accurate, especially at the black belt level, but it helps.

Let's say he's in a right foot back stance. If his shoulders move counter-clockwise then he's throwing a rear leg roundhouse, front kick, side kick, or steping forward. If his shoulders move clockwise then he's throwing a back kick, spining kick, or 360 roundhouse. If his shoulders tip backward then he's throwing a front leg kick; either front kick, roundhouse or side kick.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• 4 weeks later...
I, by shear accident caught a leg of my brown belt sparring partner, and landed a beautiful spin kick to the groin. Didnt hurt him (thank God for protection) but it was a clean hit. quote]

There is no such thing as a clean kick to the groin :kaioken: , First it hurts and that kick should land on the soft spot below the ribs. Hitting below the belt is dirty and disrespectfull.

To get back to the main topic, just move in close and jam the kick, uses you hands when in close

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

I agree with Shorin Ryu Sensei. Most lower ranks look like one of those toys that I hated from the '70's. You may have seen those stupid plastic balls on a string with the sole purpose of bouncing off one another. Beginners look like this to me sparring most of the time. Straight line attack, clash, back off in a straight line. Learning to shift your center line in any direction at will is very important to self defense and sparring.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

he is actually giving me pointers on it, my GAME so to speak is improving.

one thing i have been geting away with alot no other people is doing a double round house kick in the air. i seem to get some points with it, the only defense seems to be going straight back.

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

he is actually giving me pointers on it, my GAME so to speak is improving.

I always show my students how to read my movements and counter my attacks. Then I let them do it a few times before I change everything and they are back to trying to figure me out again.

Be careful 'dear john', and be ready to go to the next level.