• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

blocks and counters for backkick in sparring

one of my master instructors usally sparrs with us on fridays.

when people spar him he always gets them with these two kicks.

back kick and hook kick.

when somebody lifts one of their legs to kick, he does a back kick or a hook kick to the head. he tells everyone that he gets the move in because one of our legs is weighted as we try to kick so we can not get out of the way.

what are some possible counters or blocks if I cannot move from my spot as he goes for the kick.

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next time you spar with him, fake the kick and react to his "counter kick" by sliding in, and punching.

If this is a predictable move for him, watch him while he spars with other students. Try to pick up anything that he does that "telegraphs" his intention. You can use that knowledge the next time its your turn in the circle.

Train like your life depends on it....Because it does.

The next time you spar with him, fake the kick and react to his "counter kick" by sliding in, and punching.

I do exactly that, but only different. (Hmmm, did that make sense?)

From a closed stance I'll fake an attack. When my opponent executes a back kick, I'll draw slide slightly back to get out of range of kick and then throw a rear leg roundhouse kick instead of a punch since my leg is longer than my arm it gives me the reach I need to land the counter attack.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

As soon as he starts to spin, jam in close. You can punch or push off. After a few times, he will stop.

"First learn stand, then learn fly. Nature rule, Daniel-san, not mine."

-- Mr. Miyagi

I just felt I had to interject here. I don't practice TKD, but I do practice TSD.

If your instructor really is a "master instructor" as you said he is, then most likely he'll continue to hit you with that back kick /spin hook or whatever he throws, whenever he wants.

By deductive reasoning, if he's your instructor then he is most likely better than you. I'd say the best you can hope for is to avoid getting hit with his back kick a certain percentage of the time.

If your instructor really is a "master instructor" as you said he is, then most likely he'll continue to hit you with that back kick /spin hook or whatever he throws, whenever he wants.

One thing to work on is not to "telegraph" your moves. It sounds like he is sitting back waiting for you to give him an opening. The obvious opening being when you shift your weight to one leg he moves in and closes the deal. He could also do this if you side step and your steps are too big. Anytime you commit your weight you are vulnerable. You could try the fakes and bait him or try to let him give you an opening. Of course, like TSD said, he is the master and should be able to hit you at will. :D

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

There's no sense in blocking the kick unless you're against a wall or something. Sidestep the kick if possible, and counter with a diagonal kick to the stomach. My instructors taught me to do this, and repeatedly threw back kicks at me until I could do it (most of the time). You have to start your move almost at the same time he starts his kick, so speed is everything.

It goes without saying that your instructor should be able to hit you whenever he wants to, but that isn't all that instructive, it it? It should be that he's allowing openings for you to learn to take advantage of -- at least that how mine does it.

Hope this helps.

I just felt I had to interject here. I don't practice TKD, but I do practice TSD.

By deductive reasoning, if he's your instructor then he is most likely better than you. I'd say the best you can hope for is to avoid getting hit with his back kick a certain percentage of the time.

*shaking my head here in disbelief*

Anybody can be beat..period. Expecially if you've seen them fight (and they you of course). You need to go into the fight with a game plan . The fake kick on your part is the best advice, and learn to use your hands. Yes, legs have more reach, but hands are faster and more versatile than feet are, and I'll wager less expected by your instructor when fighting you. Learn to use angles of attack also. Not just straight back..and straight forward. Angle...angle...angle!!! Straight lines are to predictable and easy to track.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I, by shear accident caught a leg of my brown belt sparring partner, and landed a beautiful spin kick to the groin. Didnt hurt him (thank God for protection) but it was a clean hit.

Now, you dont get lucky enough to catch every leg, but when you can, be sure to counter quickly. We only have 2 seconds to counter.

Just a thought on what the hands can do.