• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Actively training? Poll

How many people in this forum are actually ACTIVELY involved in the MA's RIGHT NOW:  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How many people in this forum are actually ACTIVELY involved in the MA's RIGHT NOW:

• I am currently training at a dojo several times a week
    • I train once a week, or when I get a chance
    • I trained a LONG time ago, but don't right now
    • I never trained in MA's before, but want to
    • I just lift weights and don't care much to train in the MA's

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KBGIRL, do u train with Blake Lirette? If so u might know someone that i'm looking for, she used to be on these forums and she had a daughter. Her name is Lori Anderson (not sure of the spelling of the last name). I've been out of touch with her for ages.

I'm pretty sure she trained with Blake Lirette or at least did some classes with him - and i'm pretty sure that it was in Vancouver.

Any answer would be cool...

Rick :karate: :up:

RJT: 2nd Degree Black Belt Freestyle Kickboxer - 3rd Gup HapKiDoist - 6th Kyu Zen Go Shu KarateKa

Just Kick Them, They'll Understand...

-TBK

I train every day, either at home or at my martial arts clubs.

In terms of going to actual classes, I train 1x per week in Wing Chun (I can't go to any more than once a week until I get a bit more advanced) 5x week karate/kobudo and 1x per week at my karate instructors freestyle self defence session (which is similar to OCFM).

In response to the other theme of this thread, the kickboxing club who train at the same location as my karate club have a ranking structure. The ranking is lifted exactly from the KB instructor's (limited) training in karate.

So I guess the structure is quickly "makeshift" to squeeze money and motivation from the participants?

My shins arent gonna lose its feelings like muay thai fighters....hopefully not..if so i gotta find thicker pillows..

It's not so much that as it is shin damage. The tree has no give - doesn't move. repeated kicking of the tree, if you are kicking it with at least a decent amount of force - can result in an eventual stress fracture to the shin. That can actually happen from kicking anything hard - I've had one, and I don't kick trees - but it seems like it's more probable when kicking an immovable object.

But how does one get to be a certified in Muay Thai Instructor?

For lineage, what is his name?

you have to get certified under someone. Once again, this really means nothing to anyone, other than the organization that certifies you. It shows that you have some experience, which counts for something, but other than that, it's not really significant.

For example, if I go to adjarn chai, he will certify me to teach under the USMTA, which is his organization. you must progress through the levels - level 1,2,3, 4 assistant instructor, etc. He has requirements obth in knowledge and physical ability that he will test you on.

I train exclusively in kickboxing and we have a belt structure.

White

Yellow

Yellow with black stripe

Orange

Orange/black stripe

Green

Green/black stripe

Blue

Blue/black stripe

Brown

Brown/black stripe

Black with white stripe (low black, my rank)

Black

And then various degrees... whatever - way beyond me at this point.

I hope to be testing for my black belt next summer and am currently training 6 days a week... I may go for my first ring fight in November if I can hack this crazy training schedule.

It doesn't feel like too much physically, but mentally my brain is taking a beating.

Now, that is different...I though that about Rick's also. Is it american kickboxing? Is it taught at a karate dojo?

Not so different. A friend of mine that trained in various arts, open up hs school and uses the exact. The availbility of striped belts, via supply houses, had him add extra belts for extra tests, for extra monetary procurement.

The color structure (less the stripe ones) have a common as...............fill in the blank-anyone?

SevenStar, I have battled a little with this myself... it is a 'style' created by the owner of my club and his brother. They have built the "SKF" Sport Kickboxing Federation. There are two schools here in Vancouver... some may suggest McDojo on this one.

We have our own tournaments and invite other styles to participate. I believe rules are the same as American Kickboxing... at the upper levels our fighters fight under ISKA sanctioning I think, and other organizations - my instructor just won a World Champion title a few months ago and fought in Vegas as one of the intro fights in the K1 show. I never paid much attention to this stuff because mainly I got into it for fitness and fun... now I'm looking into fighting, so I'm getting more interested, but I can't give all the details, cuz I don't know them all. I don't really care, as long as I enjoy what I'm doing.

RICK - yes, I am trained by Sensei Blake Lirette. And I used to train with Lori all the time! She quit not long ago... wanted to devote more time & $ to raising her daughter... pretty noble decision - it would KILL me. She still lives nearby I think - I see her once in a while.

3 to 4 times a week at a dojo. at home once a week. at the dojo for 3 to 4 hours training sessions.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

But how does one get to be a certified in Muay Thai Instructor?

For lineage, what is his name?

you have to get certified under someone. Once again, this really means nothing to anyone, other than the organization that certifies you. It shows that you have some experience, which counts for something, but other than that, it's not really significant.

For example, if I go to adjarn chai, he will certify me to teach under the USMTA, which is his organization. you must progress through the levels - level 1,2,3, 4 assistant instructor, etc. He has requirements obth in knowledge and physical ability that he will test you on.

But some recognition is better than none. How then, can you separate book/video instructors from those that put in time and effort with a live one via a organization? How do you separate McDojo instructors if not looking at credentials, of some type? Hmmnnnn