• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Boards Broken?

I broke 5 boards and the cinderblock that they were resting on. I didn't mean to break the cinderblock but hey I borke 5boards and the cinderblock....with a punch.

It is good to be well versed in one style, but even better to be well versed in many styles.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budderfly wrote:

Totallys. Boards were a big challange for me mentally. I used to get so nervous doing board breaks for my test and in public. I have to do a back kick and a spinning hook kick soon.

I always preach "Learn proper technique and practice it that way every time. Then on test day, do exactly as you practiced. Don't change anything."

I help students get their distance down for their back kick break, and then the day of the test they step out and away from the boards and miss. Go figure! If they just do it the way they practiced they would hit it on first try.

Buddrfly, how's your spinning hook technique when you're not breaking a board?

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• 1 month later...

I love breaking. The ultimate in mind over matter. I've broken many times, but my favorite routine was a spear hand strike through one, followed by a jumping backside kick through two, and then an assisted backspin kick through two. I'm gonna do it again with double the boards at my next test.

(oh all boards were 8"x9"x1.5" (I think) for all those who are wondering)

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

We only do board breaking on testing day. Yellow belt and blue stripe do one board with a high spin kick. Blue belt and red stripe (me) do two boards with a palm strike. Red belt do one board with a high spin kick, and one with a low spin kick. Brown belts and black-brown belts do one board with 4 different jumping kicks, front, spin, back and side.

There are additional requirements to reach black belt, but I'm not sure of what those are.

So I broke 2 with a palm strike in my last test, and will be doing the same in my next test (for red belt) on Saturday. We don't try to "max out" on breaking.

Do these boards hit back?? Probably not.......hmmm.

Neither do hand held targets, heavy bags, speed bags, or for that matter, air. They still can all have a place in training, no?