• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Boards Broken?

Whats the most ammount of boards you have broken, and with what technique (Ranks would also be nice to know :))

For my Level (ITF Bai Rui, Blue Belt Red Stripe) I have broken:

2 Boards Knifehand Strike

2 Boards Turning Kick

2 Boards mid air Turning Kick at 2 different heights

5 Boards Side piercing Kick

1 Board Forefist Punch

1 Board Mid Air Side Piercing Kick

Federation: ITF Australia

School: Bai Rui

Previous Instructors: Master Paul Cutler (8th Degree), Mr Charles Birch (6th Degree), Mr Jason Kee (2nd Degree)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the most ammount of boards you have broken, and with what technique (Ranks would also be nice to know :))

11 - 8'x2x4's all at the same time with one technique. :o

Technique used...forklift about 8' high and gravity. (unbalanced load...OOPS!) :roll:

Rank...Sandan :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

chris that is preety good i guess. what does breaking boards accomplish? let me ask you a question, do you think someone is going to stand around while you square up your technique? try another test of skill. stand in a horse stance (middle stance) and let someone side kick you in the stomach. now that would be something to see. i am not trying to upset you, just focus on the more important aspects of training.

by the way i have also had to break boards for testings. that was long ago and even then i thought it was silly.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

Does every breaking thread have to turn into a debate on the merits of breaking? I mean, can't we just accept that this is one of those facets of training that you can't convince people's opinions to sway on?

So if you're anti-breaking, why not just ignore this topic and start something on one of your favorite aspects of training for the rest of us to tear apart? :)

I do a lot of 1-2 board breaks, but i prefer speed breaks. Even those aren't really that tough, since I can just take a stack and break them with no prep. hammerfist, ridge hand, chop, fist, elbow, knee, head and then switch sides :)

Once your white belts see you demolish wood in this manner, it becomes a little less intimidating. And to me, breaking is more about building confidence than anything else.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Think what you want, but breaking actually serves a number of purposes....

If it's the only area you're focusing on, of course that is ridiculous, but the same can be said of anyone who focuses on one thing to the exclusion of everthing else.

The whole "no one's just going to stand there and let you hit them" or "boards don't hit back" argument is tiresome...

Anyone who practices a legitimate martial arts knows that breaking doesn't make you a better fighter in and of itself...because that isn'tthe point of breaking.

Breaking teaches focus (accuracy of delivering a stike to a specific point), speed of technique delivery (without speed, boards won't break, especially when you start stacking them), and penetration. Too often martial arts practitioners get used to pulling their techniques. If you pull your technique when breaking, the boards don't break.

All of these things will make you abetter fighter when combined with other aspects of training.

And yes, any idiot can be taught to break one board, maybe even multipes if they have the right attiude, but again, that's not the point...

Breaking is a tool that helps one along the way, it is not the way itself....

..Ack Tom, you beat me to it....generally i agree with what you say...

if it's too easy, start stacking up more boards :)