• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

help a karate student for grappling purposes

I need some advice of how you practise takedowns and armbars ect without a partner cus some of our self defenses deal with takedowns and i kinda enjoy throwing somebody bigger than me to the ground :brow:

and some general throwing grappling strenghting execise would be very welcome

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Its often hard to train grappling by yourself, and while you wont be able to learn completely without a partner, you can practise by using a heavy bag thats not hanging up, or you can buy more expensive grappling dummies.

you can't learn by yourself... to try and do so will result in sloppy technique.

that said, after you know how to do the technique, there are drills you can do solo that will help improve your form and skill.

except for basic ground drills (like shrimping or something), theres no way to learn grappling on your own.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

Im trying to improve my takedowns with some of the training I would take a class if there was one in my area but thats not an option yet

dont you guys have any basic drills that will help??

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to takedowns/throws and grappling you really need a partner and an instructor to show proper technique. Even with a partner and Instructor it still takes a long time to get good at throwing and grappling. I wish I could help but when it comes to training on these types of techniques I think a partner is a must. Good Luck

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

although there is no substitue for a partner, you can learn wrestling moves by yourself. wrestling moves are generally very basic and easy to learn, unlike jujitsu or judo takedowns.

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown

Well, if you have a very good imagination, you can train those techniques without a partner. I think Eric Paulson sells a grappling dummy as well. However, without a partner, you can only do so much.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.