• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A blood choke is ANY choke that cuts the blood off to the brain. Doesn't have to be the rear naked. :)

You're right; that was just an example. But the rear naked is the same choke (basically) as ANY carotid restraint or what everyone is referring to as a "blood choke". In order to shut off blood supply, the carotid arteries must be compressed- and in order to do that, the easiest method is the bicep/forearm restraint- hence, Blood choke, AKA carotid restraint hold, AKA sleeper, AKA rear naked. Any other choke is one that shuts off air supply.

Mixed Martial Artist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A blood choke is ANY choke that cuts the blood off to the brain. Doesn't have to be the rear naked. :)

You're right; that was just an example. But the rear naked is the same choke (basically) as ANY carotid restraint or what everyone is referring to as a "blood choke". In order to shut off blood supply, the carotid arteries must be compressed- and in order to do that, the easiest method is the bicep/forearm restraint- hence, Blood choke, AKA carotid restraint hold, AKA sleeper, AKA rear naked. Any other choke is one that shuts off air supply.

;) I know you know the difference, just clarifying for those that don't.

As for my son, he's 9 months now almost (birthday is in the signature).

:)

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

I've actually seen this technique performed right in front of me before. A big group of guys was leaving this room at like midnight after a dorm meeting and this guy (very fit) that I know is a black belt (though I'm not sure exactly which form) came up behind his workout buddy (also very fit - a marine) and was just playing around and he performed the technique almost exactly as Rich67 described it except the marine wasn't on his knees - he was standing. Long story short - "marine" passes out for about 30 seconds and gives us all a good scare and of course everyone is ticked off at "black belt". Up until then I had never even heard of such a technique, and it was shocking to see....and incredible. "Marine" went down fast - supposedly because of the initial rush of all the blood being pushed back up into his head and then the flow of new blood being cut off. *Very* frightening technique...

So, the choke was done when the marine wasn't prepared to get serious? Hmmn, I wonder if then it would not have been effective?

I knocked out a marine. My cousin that has been one for about 6 years. I think this is what is called a "two-timer" or "second tour", or "career military"?

Right - the marine wasn't even paying attention, lol. His friend just came up behind him and put it on him and knocked him out... He didn't realize it would knock him out though - I think he underestimated both the technique and his strength/skill. This technique strikes me as one that would be difficult to use in an actual fight because how often do you have the opportunity (unless you've practically won already) to put someone in a choke hold?