• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Staying square...Why?

"there is a concept used in thai (and most freestyle arts) that is basically called gaining an angle - you want to be squared to your opponent at all times, if you can stay square and make them take an angle to you you have an opening. pretty much why standing side on is such a terrible idea"

I didnt understand what this person sai, i took it from another forum, Yes we do stand squared in my gym also but i didint understand what he meant by our opponent angeling off or somethign, can somebody evaluate? thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
"there is a concept used in thai (and most freestyle arts) that is basically called gaining an angle - you want to be squared to your opponent at all times, if you can stay square and make them take an angle to you you have an opening. pretty much why standing side on is such a terrible idea"

I didnt understand what this person sai, i took it from another forum, Yes we do stand squared in my gym also but i didint understand what he meant by our opponent angeling off or somethign, can somebody evaluate? thanks

Center line control. If he is at angle controled by you, you decrease the effectivness of half his offensive and defensive weapons while maintaining all yours in full battery. The downside is that your centerline is a little more open to attack if you allways face him squarely. Every system aproaches centerline control differently, but all combative systems have to address it. For example, AK faces the opponent primarily at 45'. But one way we attack center is to find an open triangle in his guard or stance and square up as we simultaneously attack.

Another way to control center is to get a dominant angle and check his base as you attack.

Centrline control is mostly a matter of the concepts your system stresses and what you are comfortable with. But it is a good idea to know how and why youre system addresses it in a particular way, as well as how the other guy does it.

Freedom isn't free!

it depends. If you are in a standard stance, you're not completely square to him, you are angled slightly, but you are still facing him - your center isn't directly in his line of fire, but is still accessible. By being more squared, I can use my weapons more readily than someone who is in a side stance.

Asfar as angling goes, it's for strategy purposes. From a stadard stance, I want to stay to your left. Why? because your power hand an leg are on the right. If I am circling in that direction, I am circling directly into your power strikes - not smart. I want to stay out of range of your power shots and keep you within range of mine.

that whole facing your side to your opponent so to minimize the size of his target thing you hear about- doesnt work. it minimizes your ability to strike him. is that what you were talking about?

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

Vito, true, and not true. That thinking is usually more a misunderstanding of other style than anything. Sort of like the side on guy that says the MT or boxer guys are allways open up the center because they are too square. Neither of you are taking into account how quickly the other can move his center. In your case, you might pivot to close center as you leg check, or step to any direction to move the target as you counter strike. And, more importantly, you control the line that runs from your center to his, the central line in some systems.

In the case of the guy that fights side on, if he is too much so I'd agree with you. Or if he is in an unmobile stance. But at 45' he can pivot as he punches, getting a lot of speed and power as the trailing hand comes suddenly into battery at the same time the strike is launched. He can step to any angle as he strikes so that he is more square as the strike lands. He too is controling that central line, suddenly putting the opponent at a disadvantageous angle while he is in a dominant angle, all weapons in battery while the other is limmited.

Both of you have solved the same problem the same way, but from polar concepts.

Freedom isn't free!

Well, when u are square to someone u can fire off all of your kickboxing techniques off at the best advantage - mainly the rear roundhouse. If u constantly move around then he is not gonna be able to stay square. Maybe someone already mentioned this but the side-on stance is only really effective against linear attacks as opponest to circular ones. As kickboxing is essentially an equal blend of linear and circular attacks then a middle ground had to be found for the stances - thus the squarish kickboxer stance. From there u are able to leg check round kicks, deflect linear attacks, and launch a complete arsenal of kickboxing attacks including spinning kicks if u have to...

Rick :karate: :up:

RJT: 2nd Degree Black Belt Freestyle Kickboxer - 3rd Gup HapKiDoist - 6th Kyu Zen Go Shu KarateKa

Just Kick Them, They'll Understand...

-TBK

• 2 weeks later...

I stand square to bait my centerline. It's an invitation to meet my knees and elbows, really.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

• 2 weeks later...

yea thats what i meant- going past 45 degrees. although, at times it is advantageous to square up some more... like if your opponent is about to shoot in and try to take you down.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli