• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I want to study karate, what should I need to know?

BUslady

Hi BUSLady:

I'm familiar with the area u are from, however, not too sure on the distance between u and Anaheim. Fumio Demura Sensei is located out of Anaheim or Santa Ana, and he teaches Shito-ryu, and also Okinawan Kobudo. Another instructor that comes to mind in that area is Yamazaki Sensei. Now maybe you can inquire as to whether or not they may have instuctors out your way that teach out of a YMCA, Rec center, or even privately. Give them a look, and see if there may be something available to you in your area :karate:

Demura Sensei is a local? I sure didn't know that. I had his sai book eons ago! wow! Our bus yard is in Santa Ana, so that's local to me but I don't go there often. Hmmm....

Wasn't he in many Ma Mags in the 70's? He had good demos with nunchakus. I mean, very good demos of striking. Not those fancy twirling demos. Are you talking about this guy? Great pioneer.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, Wasn't he in many Ma Mags in the 70's? He had good demos with nunchakus. I mean, very good demos of striking. Not those fancy twirling demos. Are you talking about this guy? Great pioneer.

Is he the samw guy?

Probably so. He'd perform at the Neisse(sp) festival in L.A., and still does I believe.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Fumio Demura Sensei was the stunt double for Pat Moriata (Mr. Miagi) in the Karate Kid movies.

One thing though, I would imagine that Fumio Demura Sensei classes would be VERY expensive. Not that he wouldn't be worth it...he's good...VERY good. However, I would doubt that Fumio Demura Sensei teaches the classes himself..or at least, the beginning classes. I'd bet you wouldn't actually work with him until after you got your black belt. But then again...I don't know for sure either...just seems logical to me (donning my Mr. Spock ears). :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Fumio Demura Sensei was the stunt double for Pat Moriata (Mr. Miagi) in the Karate Kid movies.

One thing though, I would imagine that Fumio Demura Sensei classes would be VERY expensive. Not that he wouldn't be worth it...he's good...VERY good. However, I would doubt that Fumio Demura Sensei teaches the classes himself..or at least, the beginning classes. I'd bet you wouldn't actually work with him until after you got your black belt. But then again...I don't know for sure either...just seems logical to me (donning my Mr. Spock ears). :D

I don't expect him to teach classes, I'd figure those who studied under him would. That's about just as good as the original so to speak. heh..

well, we'll see when i get to that point. at leasti have an idea on what to do when looking for a club. :-)

Buslady of SoCal

Yes he did double for Morita in the Karate Kid. I've seen him from time to time at some tourneys, and he's age appropriate :brow: . Even better does put on some demos here and there. Probably not like he use to tho :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia