• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I want to study karate, what should I need to know?

BUslady

First off, this is my first post, and I'm glad to be here.

Sensei Demura is a a renowned Japanese karate-ka with SOME Okinawan karate training. I tend to classify his style as Japanese Shito Ryu with no real affiliation to Mabuni Kenwa's Shito Ryu (Okinawan). His kobudo is different, his kata are different and the intent of his karate is more "modern" too. Too deep and long in the stance department and too much block-then punch/kick karate. Too shoulder locked and too static. TOOO much goho (hardness).

If you're looking for a good style (ryu-ha) that emphasizes realistic fighting techs and the best weapons techs, you should search for a good Shorin Ryu school, preferably Matsumura Seito Karate-Jutsu (none in LA area) or Shorinkan-Kobayashi (I don't know if there are any of these there either). There is very little in the real karate department in La-La land and. Seems people there don't have the patience to learn MAs the right way just the overnight way (j/k)!

The Kyan influenced ryuha are also good (Okinawan Shorinji Ryu, Shobayashi, Seibukan, Sukunaihayashi, etc.). There are some good Goju Ryu, as well as Uechi Ryu schools, which teach Okinawan weapons . Stay away from the more school-kid influenced Japanese styles. They are short on kobudo (weapons art) and long on formality. Then again Ohshima sensei teaches a good style of Shotokan!

Good luck and take your time finding a good dojo, sensei and style. There are some out there but they are sooooo hard to find. Bye...

Your fad is just a phase. What's tried and true always remains!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... you should search for a good Shorin Ryu school, preferably Matsumura Seito Karate-Jutsu (none in LA area) ...

Hanshi Kenneth Penland, 8th Dan I believe, is in Hesperia...is that close to LA? He's a student of Sensei Hohan Soken, Fuse Kise and Yuichi Kuda's. I haven't met Sensei Penland yet, but I understand he's very good.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

... you should search for a good Shorin Ryu school, preferably Matsumura Seito Karate-Jutsu (none in LA area) ...

Hanshi Kenneth Penland, 8th Dan I believe, is in Hesperia...is that close to LA? He's a student of Sensei Hohan Soken, Fuse Kise and Yuichi Kuda's. I haven't met Sensei Penland yet, but I understand he's very good.

Actually Hesteria.... :D ..I mean Hesperia is closer to me than LA is. LA is way too far from Corona. I'm not in the LA area either, but Riverside, just east of Orange County. Hesperia is just up the Cajon Pass in San Berdoo county.

Buslady of SoCal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Fumio Demura Sensei was the stunt double for Pat Moriata (Mr. Miagi) in the Karate Kid movies.

Yes he did double for Morita in the Karate Kid. I've seen him from time to time at some tourneys, and he's age appropriate :brow: . Even better does put on some demos here and there. Probably not like he use to tho :karate:

He comes to Lloydminster anually, and as for what BusLady said, I studied under one of his students, Sensei Cam Stuert, great sensie

wiseman once say "man who fight with wife all day, get no peice at night"

• 3 weeks later...

As a trainer somethings you may want to know if u want to study karate is if u think u can make the comitment. so many times i see ppl come through my dojo doors and leave 2 weeks later never to be seen from again. Also understand once u start karate the way u look on life will change and ur attitude will also. Be sure ur physically fit for a good workout and be sure never to give up even if ur wipped in kumate or in a street fight, the best karatekans are the ones who lose becuase by losing u learn from ur mistakes....Good luck and tell me how it goes!

Tiger kid

My goals to study karate and saijutsu. .

Find a good traditional Japanese or Okinawan school like Shorin-ryu, Gojuryu, Shotokan, Uechi-ryu, or some of their legitimate derivatives.

Go to class

Follow instructions

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing