• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I want to study karate, what should I need to know?

BUslady

My goals to study karate and saijutsu. Ever since I was a kid, but I never could because we never had money. I'm 32...I want to learn. I dunno if I should be ashamed or what, my inspiration comes from a certain comic book foursome and the one who wears red and uses sai--my other inspiration is this website's video clip: http://www.wonder-okinawa.jp/023/eng/013/002/index.html - this blows me away, I want to learn this art.

Plus I'm looking for confidence building, discipline and the knowledge that I can defend myself if needed.

What should I need to know when I look for a teacher? What should the costs be? and starting out, what's it like? What do you do in the first few classes?? I learn best one on one and in a fun atmosphere. I don't learn well with drill seargants..man I had one when I was learning to drive a bus! Ugh!

Well anyways..... I do have a first priority, I have to save up to buy my baby turtles a 100 gallon tank,stand and filters(almost there too!)

...so I'm researching everything now so after I take care of my babies, I'll know what to do when I go look for a dojo.

If anyone could give me a heads up on what I wanna get into, I'd appreciate it.

Buslady of SoCal

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I'm glad you want to start training Karate. Good for you.

When you look for a teacher, try to look for someone who really love The Art he/She is training. I've seen Masters who are in the business just for the money and have no respect for the Art itself, the legacy, the tradition, etc...

Look a couple of classes and try to see yourself training in the dojo. Look for something in which you'll feel confortable.

The Cost, depends a lot on where do you live, how the school is, etc... you must look for something that you like and also that fits in your budget.

The First couple of clases are going to be about building proper stances, footwork, learn the basic commands, drills, and exercises. Since muscles aren't used to that kind of exercises, expect to be really sore on the morning, but that will go with time.

Expect, lots of work, lots of sweat and lots of pain. But at the end, it will worth.

Since you want to learn saijutsu, make sure your school also teach Kobudo. I recomend you to look for the Traditional Okinawan Dojos since those 99.9% of the time teach karate and Kobudo together.

bye.

Id echo everything Karateka_latino said with the added point that once you pick aclub, go along for a lesson and watch, or if they'll let you, take part before you committ yourself to a term or whatever. a lot of dojos sound great but are full of flaws in reality. some danger signs:

1. fast indechiperable Japanese - often can be a sign of a teacher more concerned with look adn procedure than practice

2. A noisy class - teacher cannot keep control, leadign to an unsafe environment. This also applies to other safety measures, especially if you are training with weapons (ive been clonked on the head more than once with a sai and I dont reccommend it)

3. A skewed abundance of the highest grades. this can (altohugh by no means definately) mean that gradigns are very speedy with low standards (gradigns usually cost more so the instructor makes more the faster they're done.)

4. A lack of application - if the class do moves to the air or n katas but spend no time on the uses of those moves be warey. You mentioned that you want to defend yourself, so you need somewhere which teaches realistic applications. When you see an application you should think 'coool I could do that.' If 20 flaws spring immedately into your mind you may want to look elsewhere.

Cost-wise most places Ive seen in britain are between 4 and 8 pounds a lesson so thats... errm carry the one... between 8 and 15 dollars. much more than this is a rip off nd probably indicates the in-it-for-the-money instructors to be avoided.

Man that got quite negative didnt it!? anyway despite all that you are meant to enjoy learnign karate so the most important element of a new club is that its fun!

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

Is there some sort of listing of all the martial arts schools on the 'net?

I'll look for an Okinawan school and look around. :-)

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I want to be sure I'm heading in the right direction.

Buslady of SoCal

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I want to be sure I'm heading in the right direction.

I'll agree with what has already been said.

One thing...you are in SoCal..if you can be more specific (LA, SanD, somewhere else) we can help you find a place close to you and check it out via the net. It's possible there might be members on this forum that live in your area and can recommend someting from personal knowledge.

If you don't want a "Drill sargent" attitude, then most likely you won't want a Japanese/Korean school. Generally, they are more "militaristic" in the approach to instruction (but not always). Okinawan systems are often more laid back, less strict, yet offer GREAT instruction. Watch classes...ask questions (do they do kobudo (weapons)? and get a feel for the place.

AVOID schools that have young kids running around wearing black belts...or that is my advice anyway. If price is a concern, avoid the shopping mall schools and the trendy places, and those that have a feel of more like a health club. They have high rent/overhead to pay and pass that expense on to their students, just like any other business. A lot of sensei (instructors), like myself, teach out of their homes. It's not as fancy as a nice building, but the instruction is just the same, and usually much lower cost. :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

My goals to study karate and saijutsu. Ever since I was a kid, but I never could because we never had money. I'm 32...I want to learn. I dunno if I should be ashamed or what, my inspiration comes from a certain comic book foursome and the one who wears red and uses sai--

Don't be embarassed. I collect anime, and it often inspires me to train harder. Welcome to the club.

What should I need to know when I look for a teacher? What should the costs be? and starting out, what's it like? What do you do in the first few classes?? I learn best one on one and in a fun atmosphere. I don't learn well with drill seargants..man I had one when I was learning to drive a bus! Ugh!

costs will vary depending on region. Check out some schools to see what the teachers there are like. you will eventually find one to your liking. There are warning signs to watch for, several have been listed. Most importantly, don't be afraid to ask questions - talk to both the teacher and students. Ask the teacher about his teaching style, his expectations, etc. talk to the students about how they are enjoying the classes, how well they are being taught, etc. Try to watch more than a just a beginners class. Try to also sit in on an advanced class to see how they train. Talk to them as well.

Some schools today will attempt to rush you into signing a contract - don't let anyone rush you. Take your time and pick the school you believe is best suited for you.

I'll agree with what has already been said.

One thing...you are in SoCal..if you can be more specific (LA, SanD, somewhere else) we can help you find a place close to you and check it out via the net. It's possible there might be members on this forum that live in your area and can recommend someting from personal knowledge.

If you don't want a "Drill sargent" attitude, then most likely you won't want a Japanese/Korean school. Generally, they are more "militaristic" in the approach to instruction (but not always). Okinawan systems are often more laid back, less strict, yet offer GREAT instruction. Watch classes...ask questions (do they do kobudo (weapons)? and get a feel for the place.

AVOID schools that have young kids running around wearing black belts...or that is my advice anyway. If price is a concern, avoid the shopping mall schools and the trendy places, and those that have a feel of more like a health club. They have high rent/overhead to pay and pass that expense on to their students, just like any other business. A lot of sensei (instructors), like myself, teach out of their homes. It's not as fancy as a nice building, but the instruction is just the same, and usually much lower cost. :karate:

Well, I'm in Riverside County in Corona/Norco area for starters.

And since I want to learn sai, I guess an Okinawan system is what I want, it's good that it may be a little kick back, I just seem to learn better when it's like that.

I thought about those strip mall type of schools, those usually cost a more for those reasons. And they sure seem to be over run by kiddos. There's that one that seems to be a franchise, United Self Defense or something like that, that just seems to be like the McDonald's of the martial arts world.

I sure like the idea of a sensei teaching out of their home, might be a less stressful atmosphere.

Again, that's for all your advice!

Buslady of SoCal

Hi BUSLady:

I'm familiar with the area u are from, however, not too sure on the distance between u and Anaheim. Fumio Demura Sensei is located out of Anaheim or Santa Ana, and he teaches Shito-ryu, and also Okinawan Kobudo. Another instructor that comes to mind in that area is Yamazaki Sensei. Now maybe you can inquire as to whether or not they may have instuctors out your way that teach out of a YMCA, Rec center, or even privately. Give them a look, and see if there may be something available to you in your area :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Fortunately, I "stumbled" upon a Okinawan Karate instructor. he taught straight out of his home. No payment was made. Before we started any physical moves, he drilled us on history and philosophy.

Then, the physical moves were simple and painful!!!

At that time, we did not know why we had to do so simple moves. We wanted to pinch and kick.

Hi BUSLady:

I'm familiar with the area u are from, however, not too sure on the distance between u and Anaheim. Fumio Demura Sensei is located out of Anaheim or Santa Ana, and he teaches Shito-ryu, and also Okinawan Kobudo. Another instructor that comes to mind in that area is Yamazaki Sensei. Now maybe you can inquire as to whether or not they may have instuctors out your way that teach out of a YMCA, Rec center, or even privately. Give them a look, and see if there may be something available to you in your area :karate:

Demura Sensei is a local? I sure didn't know that. I had his sai book eons ago! wow! Our bus yard is in Santa Ana, so that's local to me but I don't go there often. Hmmm....

Buslady of SoCal