• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

25 Shoto-kan Kata

Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The list of shotokan kata really depends on the org. or assoc. you are with.

Gichin Funakoshi left us 12 in his book karate-do Koyhan. Some go by that.

The JKA does the ones included in the Best Karate Series by Nakyamia (sp) I think they do 25 not sure.

I do 29 listed below.

Taikyoku Shodan, Nidan and Sandan

Heian Shodan Nidan, Sandan, Yondan and Godon

Tekki Shodan Nidan and Sandan

Bassai Dai and Bassai Sho

Kanku Dai and Kanku Sho

Gojushisho and Gojushisho Dai

Jion, Jitte, and Gin

Chinttie

Gankanku

Empi

Wankan

Sochin

Unsa

Meiyko

Hangetsu

Nijushisho

The Best Karate Seires leaves out Meikyo and Wankan prob bescause Naykamia died. Fuankoshi left out a lot because he said these 12 were the most imporatant. Never said it was the only ones.

Not sure on the spelling I just done it out of my head without checking it. So its prob wrong but hopefully you know what I ment.

No I have not seen the book your talking about who wrote it???

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Delete Taikyoku katas and you would have the JKA list I'm familiar with. We have never incorporated the Taikyoku katas in JKA. However, it doesn't mean that they weren't incorporated at one time...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Only place I have seen the listed is in Gichin Funakoshi's book Karate-Do Koyhan and it states that he developed them from young kinds because the Heian's were too difficult. I teach them for that reason. Im a member of the FSKA now and Kenneth Funakoshi teaches the first Taikyoku but not the other 2 so again the point is the number of shotokan kata is based on you assoc. and org.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I have it. It has Taikyoku Shodan included and it's missing Gojushiho Dai/Sho. The official JKA kata are 26 btw as is stated in The Best Karate Series.

I swear i have seen the same book but with a 27 instead of 25 in amazon.com but i can't seem to find it right now. It may be a new edition.

Btw, this book doesn't have any actual picture, just drawings but believe me, it can help you a lot better than the best karate series.

Always seeking perfection...

I have the book in front of me. The katas included are as follows:

Heian Shodan - Godan

Tekki Shodan - Sandan

Bassai Dai

Jion

Empi

Kanku Dai

Hangetsu

Jitte

Gankaku

Ni jyu-shih-ho

Chin-tei

So-chin

Meikyo

Unsu

Bassai Sho

Kanku Sho

Wankan

Go jyu-shiho Sho

Go jyu-shiho Dai

As Porky puts it, "That's all folks!"

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Also, Sugiyama Sensei seems to be a very nice man and a knowledgeable instructor. I have e-mailed him a couple of times and always received a response with an explanation for any question that I had.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.