• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you enjoy learning or exploring the history behind it all

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Without a doubt i love stories about the old masters . Since i study motobu ha shi-to ryu i like the stories about choki motobu he was a very impresive and awsome martial artist. I also love exploring the history of the kata they are a story in themselves. So much history is writen in each movement .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

Not paticularly. Only things that are really relivent to modern scenario's. Mainly I prefer to spend my time reading practical things if I read anything at all.

On an unrelated note. 1000th post for the shotokan forum. Hooray!

~The things you own - they end up owning you.

• 1 year later...
I love to know the history of the Martial arts that I do... because it helps me to understand the reasons of its being. And I also like to learn the history of the country where the martial art borned to understand the context and the nature of the art. We must have the contact with the history and the old masters because they are the reason of a martial art

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless, like water...

I like to know the history to an extent. Most of it is political (and I hate politics). But knowing a rough history is good enough for me.

But I do love finding out about kata's/forms. The history, the bunkai, ect.

My instructor always talks about training with the grandmaster, and it does interest me.

Laurie F

hell yea!

Does that answer youre question?

Ditto! :lol:

"It is interesting that some of the masters originally started training because of physical frailty or poor health."

Two of the reasons I am training. Don't get me wrong, I kick * but, I am 15 years old and people that have seen me shirt-less have called me "old man" because I stopped eating almost everything besides liquids for 2 years or so.