• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I want to train with nunchaku, any recommended videos?

Croy

i want to start using the nunchaku but there is nobody in my area that is qualified to instruct, so i'm looking for a basic-advanced video set that can help me learn, so anyone who has checked out a video that they would HIGHLY recommend, i'd appreciate the info.

tnx in advance

1st Dan CTF Taekwondo

Shodan Tomiki Ryu Aikido

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As for instruction video's, I'd have to recommend Steve Powell's "Secrets of nunchaku".

just posted that on another thread, seemed appropriate to post it again.. Thats the best video that Ive seen so far, I'm not sure you can purchase it online though, well unless I persuade Steve to let me sell em on my site..

if you highly recommend it, then i'll most likely order it, can ya give me the information where i can get it? just looked for it online, like you said, nothing

1st Dan CTF Taekwondo

Shodan Tomiki Ryu Aikido

I was wondering if you are wanting a more traditional or modernized use of the nunchaku. As for traditional I have almost no ideas for you, but as for a more "open" style I would say get Lee Barden's nunchaku videos. They are not cheap, but they are very good and Master Lee Barden is awesome with the nunchaku. He has four videos that are readily available and he is easy to follow. They are available at blackandbluevideo.com.

Just my two cents worth :D

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

I was wondering if you are wanting a more traditional or modernized use of the nunchaku. As for traditional I have almost no ideas for you, but as for a more "open" style I would say get Lee Barden's nunchaku videos.

Question: What is "modernized use of the nunchaku" and "Open style" referring to?

As far as I know...there's only two methods. The right way, and the wrong way. Just curious.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Croy, before you spend time and money in learning nunchaku, you need to decide what is your goal with them. If you want to use them to improve your coordination and other aspects that will improve your MA training, then, go for it. If for personal defense, I would recommend learning the esccrima stick or how to use a collapsable baton.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

i'm interested in learning the nunchaku for both self defense and because of the coordination, the nunchaku has always been real appealing to me. i'm in law enforcement so i carry around the steel baton, though i don't prefer it, i miss using the pr-24, which is a tonfa. but there are some areas of law enforcement that allow the use of nunchaku instead of the baton, and from what i've studied, someone well versed with the nunchaku would be very devastating, the lighting strikes alone raise the hairs on the back of my neck. so overall, i want it for self defense, but a little bit of flash never hurt anyone.

1st Dan CTF Taekwondo

Shodan Tomiki Ryu Aikido

I think that the nunchaku would be a great choice for you, in that you can use them legally. I wouldn't try to find a video source, because the traps and locks that can be done really need to be done in a school setting.

What I find interesting is that you could use nunchaku over a PR-24, it seems that the baton would provide better control of force used, but over a choice between the two, the nunchaku would win.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

currently we don't have a choice between self defense weapons, but there is a group of us that are trying to promote variety, there is a group of us trying to promote variety, currently we are trying to get a self defense program where a few of us will have the opportunity to teach basic hand to hand combat and self defense, and personally, if i ever gained some knowledge in the nunchaku, i'd love to be able to add that to the curriculum

1st Dan CTF Taekwondo

Shodan Tomiki Ryu Aikido

...but there are some areas of law enforcement that allow the use of nunchaku instead of the baton, ...

What country, or state, allows law enforecement to carry nunchaku?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"