• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

who is the greatest kickboxer of all time!

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok in the heavy devisions the dutch are dominant but in the lighter weights the thais are still doing a heck of a job. i agree that the thais are poor punchers compaired to the the european nations with a big boxing influence but there technique is second to none if, porsawan por pramook was a heavy weight he would do very well. not to mention Kaoklai kennorsing beat Mighty Mo in K-1 and Mo out weighed him by like 80 pounds.

Fist visible Strike invisible

wanderla silva is my fave

hoost and lidel are also great!

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:brow: It could be a toss up depending on the era. But if we go to the greatest pioneer, ageless pioneer I might say,Cliff 'Magic' thomas, he is arguably the greatest kickboxer for an extended time. He was a 20-1 underdog back in 1980 to Gordon Franks and blew him away in 3 for his first PKA world title. He then beat eight top contenders and former world champions or champions, especially his superb knockout of Paul Vizzio on NBC and ESPN and his becoming the first PKA Kickboxer to hold two titles simultaneously when he destroyed Light Welterweight ChampionTommy Williams in a racially tense atmosphere.

Cliff would go on to be the first to hold two, three and four titles in the PKA and when if folded just picked up where he left off and grabbed a 6th. After retirment of sorts, he came back at age 45 to win a 6th and 7th under KICK. Overall, 7 world titles in 5 weight divisions. He never ducked anybody. And he was never officially down and never beat up.

As for Urquidez, yeah, he is Top Gun except that Cliff's stablemate, Billye Jackson, defeated him in Florida. It wasn't a world championship and Benny had to agree to PKA rules. But to make the question mute, Cliff offered to fight Urquidez and since they weren't sure if Cliff was still in great shape, they first told him to fight a stablemate named Cunningham. Cliff showed up and they got a doctor quack to say that Cliff still had heart problems. Ho Ho!! Cliff was cut like a diamond. And he was born with a hole in his heart the size of a silver dollar and not expected to even live to age 13 or 14. Surprise! Surprise!

Back in Texas, Cliff's physical was A-OK!! So, the world missed out on a whale of a match up. Never happened.

Cliff knocked out some 56 fighters, mostly champions or ranked opponents, in over 70 bouts over twenty three years. He only lost six bouts (Some only 5 rounders) and was never in trouble in any fight. He was a champion in 1980 and he was a champion in 2002 and 03. Most famous kickboxers had hung 'em up by then.

Bottom line: it is difficult to name the greatest kickboxer just as it is to name the greatest boxer of all time. And there are so many disciplines. But since we all get a swing at it, I'm homering for Cliff 'Magic' Thomas. His website is magicthomas.com and his book is 'Magic! Magic! Magic!.

I really enjoy FC because of the demand for both boxing and martial arts skills and the absolute necessity to protect vital leg injuries so as to ensure a caree with longevity. It is also fan thrilling and marketable to the masses. I am too old and cancerous to contribute much to the game that "Never should Have faltered" but I am capable ( somewhat) of teaching and at present I am the boxing instructor for Powerhouse Gyms in El P{aso and do private lessons for boxing and kickboxing. Have worked with Tex Cobb, Joe Soto and Rick Reyna but mostly with Cliff "Magic" Thomas. Over the past two years Cliff, 7-time world champion in 5 weight divisions, and I collaborated on the book about his amazing career, "The Black Knight Of Kickboxing," Cliff 'Magic' Thomas in "Magic! Magic! Magic!"

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ramone Dekkar in his day. Not sure I spelled that correctly but you know who I'm talking about.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!

• 2 weeks later...

To me, it's pointless to pick ONE great of all Time in anything.

it can be the greatest in which period of time, in which weight division, in which rules and the most important, personal opinion, choices and tastes.

but one just ONE great, i don't think so.

I am partial to Ernesto Hoost and an old amigo of mine, Rick Roufus.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu