• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

who is the greatest kickboxer of all time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was not the best but I was always partial to Bob "Thunder" Thurman out of Kansas City in the eighties. Also Troy Dorsey gets some kind of honorable mention for doing so well in karate, kickboxing,and western style boxing doesn't he?

Iron Arahat - Is there anywhere in the states to get a copy of any of Teng Jun's fights? You've mentioned him before and I respect your opinion.

Osu!

One cannot choose to be passive without the option to be aggressive.

Didn't Bob Thurman get belted when he fought Jean Yvse Theriaut.

If your talking old fighters them Benny Urquidez would have to be the king.

I have a couple of old tapes of Bob Thurman he looked like a boxer with a front kick,pretty limited.

Troy Dorsey was a great alrounder.Pure guts all the way.

Thurman had a great right....Jean Yves is someone who does not get mentioned much but he beat just about everybody he faced in fights with kicks above the legs only..since we are talking about fighters from my generation how about Don Wilson and a young Rick Roufas.....Troy Dorsey got robbed when he fought Jogre Paez for the pro boxing title.....Benny Urquidez beat everybody at any rules a great choice....

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever

Met Don Wilson a couple of times at Benny Urquidez' old Jet Centre and he was a real gentleman.I'd love to get a copy of his fight with Theriult(if anyone has one let me know )

I was never into the above waist type fights I fought 3 times in these rules with mixed results but always felt limited.Those rules suited TDK guys(especially when they had the minimum kick count).

Blinky Rodrigez was another good fighter from that golden age.His fight with Bill Wallace was a classic.

And if your talking old legend what about the guy who started it all Joe Lewis.

Danny, you're right on about Thurman. Tough as nails boxer who saw an opportunity when kickboxing started up and started going right after he picked up the minimum skills. My family was involved in the KC boxing scene a little bit back then and were pleasantly surprised when he had such quick

success.

I wanted to belt Ferdy Pacheco during the Dorsey vs Paez fights. His coverage was so biased against Dorsey! And I am a Paez fan!

But give the dirty faced clown his props - Paez only stopped competing successfully against top tier competition about a year ago.

Osu!

One cannot choose to be passive without the option to be aggressive.

I had an old Sports Illustrated with Bob Thurman on the cover,first kickboxer to ever get a cover on that mag,it said in the article he was a golden gloves champion.I remember watching his fight with Theriult and was disappointed he only lasted 3 rounds(as I recall) but I think Theriult was a little heavier.that must have been '86/'87.

Man,I'm showing my age here,Lol.

.Jean Yves took apart Thurman. He beat everyone that the PKA threw at him. I remember seeing a very young Rick Roufas on the undercard of a Brad Hefton fight. He was amazing.

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a soft spot for Benny Urquidez...Don Wilson was great too...

Second Degree Black Belt

Member: Kokon Ryu Bujutsu Renmei,

Valadez Kenpo Association *Illinois State Representative*, Universal Taekwondo Association, Martial Arts Weapons Association, International Sung-ja do Association.