• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nunchaku Decision

back_fist

[is your kobudo lineage from Matayoshi or other? If another, which one? Just curious. :)

Now, that's a good question. I believe that the deceased head of our system, Sense Kuda Yuichi, had his own family system of kobudo. He also trained with several kobudo Masters on Okinawa, including OSensei Soken Hohan. I wish I could be more specific, but honestly, I really don't know for sure.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just curious if we studied the same system and katas. The system I study comes from Matayoshi Shinpo and then down through Seikichi Odo. When you teach your katas do you teach, say, all of the bo forms, then move on to another weapon and teach all of the forms for that weapon or do you move back and forth between weapons? We start with escrima sticks, then add the bo, then start adding in a couple sai forms, etc, etc. Each level usually has 2 forms, 1 from one weapon and 1 from a different weapon, so that we are learning forms for more than 1 weapon at a time.

Res firma, mitescere nescit

I was just curious if we studied the same system and katas. The system I study comes from Matayoshi Shinpo and then down through Seikichi Odo. When you teach your katas do you teach, say, all of the bo forms, then move on to another weapon and teach all of the forms for that weapon or do you move back and forth between weapons? We start with escrima sticks, then add the bo, then start adding in a couple sai forms, etc, etc. Each level usually has 2 forms, 1 from one weapon and 1 from a different weapon, so that we are learning forms for more than 1 weapon at a time.

I can't vouch forother sensei in this system, as there are no set "requirements" for the particular order. I start with the bo first at 4th kyu level belt, then sai at 3rd kyu, tonfa at 2nd kyu, kama at 1st kyu, and nunchaku at shodan. The kata aren't taught all at once for each weapon, but are taught as they progress through the belts.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"