• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nunchaku Decision

back_fist

Inferno, your videos seem like you are blending traditional moves and freestyle moves together. I'm no expert but wouldn't that destroy the effectiveness of either intention? Even your clip titled "old nunchaku/sern jit gwun" has lots of wrist rolls and things like that. I think that if one is going to learn to how to be efficient with the nunchaku and also to juggle with them then you must keep the two mentally and physically seperate.

To be worn out is to be renewed.

-Lao Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inferno, your videos seem like you are blending traditional moves and freestyle moves together. I'm no expert but wouldn't that destroy the effectiveness of either intention? Even your clip titled "old nunchaku/sern jit gwun" has lots of wrist rolls and things like that. I think that if one is going to learn to how to be efficient with the nunchaku and also to juggle with them then you must keep the two mentally and physically seperate.

A good point back_fist. I see no reason that you can't do both flashy and effective technque, but if you're teaching others, you need to stress to your students which is which, and what each is for. My gripe is with people that only do flashy techniques, teaching others that flash, and trying to pass it off as effective technique.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Umm! BTW guys did u actually click on Nunchaku tutorials! Dat's where I show how to do moves. U probs realise there are no spins taught for "Flashing".

I don't expect ppl to copy from my other nunchaku clips, that's why they r kinda blurry with no explanations.

And students of mine online users are not, I don't charge for the content. I teach in UK only. The 2 guys doing nunchaku on me website are ex-students cos they devoted themselves to create flashy moves.

Hmm, well i viewed your instructions, as well as your videos. I've been practicing with nunchakus, on and off, since 80'. I have steered clear of 'flash' and thus have a strong eye for it. I.e., i see it much better than most.

As to Shorinryu Sensei's comments, they are right on. Since i've been visiting this board, i've come to realize he holds a similar understanding on the use the nunchaku, which is that it isn't a friggin' toy.

Holding the nunchaku near the chain is not the way to practice, and all your videos are showing the wrong way to hold it. It develops very bad, and potentially fatal, habits. Also, i disagree with the idea about control. It allows for better control when performing flash techniques, but far less control for actually striking. If you were to strike something while holding near the chain, the recoil would be eratic and uncontrolled. Because of where you are holding, you would not be able to regain control, as you have no leverage. You would also not have 'time' to regain control, as the recoil would be too fast. And last, the reason the recoil would be quick, is because the strike would be ineffective. A slap, as opposed to a crush.

So, as much as it may hurt to hear this... realize that the input you are receiving is an opportunity for you to 'change' what you've been doing.

Additional comments made, such as parking your hand in front, or in shoalin-like half-prayer style in front of your body... these are bad ideas. Also, in the videos, you are just a tad too focused on the actions of the nunchaku, and your body is suffering for it. It is too snappy and is actually 'chasing' the nunchaku, rather than directing or leading the nunchaku. One of the bad habits associated with holding it too close to the chain.

Being wrong isn't wrong. Insisting on being wrong... is. Take a bite of humble pie... and smile. :)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Hey man! Thanks for the constructive criticism! It was kool the way u described it! No offense to the guy's before of course. Look like I gotta relearn everything in that case lol. Which martial art and weapon have you studied properly?

I didn't take my Anti-Geezer "Play Nice Pills" this morning, so I'm a little blunter than most are today. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Hey dude (do u like dude?) no grudge taken wotsoeva man- Chill. So wot martial arts do u properly do? Is nunchaku a weapon of your study?

LOL Looks like this POST is really for helping me instead ;P Back_Fist, hope you got the answer you looking for??? Thanks again!

So how do I rate as a freestyler juggler lol???

Hey dude (do u like dude?)

Oh sure..no problem. I've actually let a couple of people live that had called me that to my face before. :brow: That's a joke, just in case you're not sure.

So wot martial arts do u properly do?

As it says under my name

<------------- over there --------------

I study/teach Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo.

Is nunchaku a weapon of your study?

I practice and teach the nunchauku, bo, sai, kama and tonfa as a part of my art. There are many more weapons, but I haven't had the exposure to them yet because of where I live. It's to difficult to travel to work with higher belts.

So how do I rate as a freestyler juggler lol???

Oh..about an 8 out of 10. We've had some pretty talented jugglers on this forum in the past. :D

As it says under my name

<------------- over there --------------

I study/teach Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo.

Is your kobudo lineage from Matayoshi or other? If another, which one? Just curious. :)

Res firma, mitescere nescit

Shorinryu Sensei its almost like I never see a thread in this forum where your NOT bi***ing about flashy nunchaku techniques (I'm just playing, please dont take offense, I appreciate your efforts to enlighten us kidz)

I have recently started to train more offensive techniques and methods with nunchaku, and I'd like to thank everyone who has offered their advice on practical nunchaku technique, rest assured that if you throw enough s**t at a wall some of it will stick :P

As for instruction video's, I'd have to recommend Steve Powell's "Secrets of nunchaku".