• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nunchaku Decision

back_fist

I recently bought a pair of nunchaku and started teaching myself some moves. I thought I was getting pretty good until I visited this forum and realized that my technique had suffered from practicing instead of improved. So I ordered a video of okinawan nunchaku techniques, however it emphasized holding the nunchaku close to the chain/rope area. From what i've read here that is only for freestyle!?! The video however was very practical and included blocks, trapping, a traditional kata, self defense techniques, and things like that. So now I'm confused. :-? Is it acceptable either way or what?

To be worn out is to be renewed.

-Lao Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought a pair of nunchaku and started teaching myself some moves. I thought I was getting pretty good until I visited this forum and realized that my technique had suffered from practicing instead of improved. So I ordered a video of okinawan nunchaku techniques, however it emphasized holding the nunchaku close to the chain/rope area. From what i've read here that is only for freestyle!?! The video however was very practical and included blocks, trapping, a traditional kata, self defense techniques, and things like that. So now I'm confused. :-? Is it acceptable either way or what?

:-? Your confusion is understandable. What is the video? Who is in it..what system does it say is being shown?

Traditionally, the nunchaku is not held close to the rope/chain. There is little power there for striking or for leverage in trapping techniques. holding the weapon close to the rope/chain allows you to do flashier techniques, but not good, powerful techniques.

Oh yeah..welcome to the forum! :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

It is a panther productions video titled "mastering the nunchaku". It says that it is okinawan kobodu. Anyway, I dont feel comfortable learning all my techique from one video. It's a shame that i have to use videos anyway but it is really my only option. Do you have any suggestions for good ones?

To be worn out is to be renewed.

-Lao Tzu

It is a panther productions video titled "mastering the nunchaku". It says that it is okinawan kobodu. Anyway, I dont feel comfortable learning all my techique from one video. It's a shame that i have to use videos anyway but it is really my only option. Do you have any suggestions for good ones?

Unfortunately back_fist, I don't learn by videos myself, but rather from several instructors I've had over the years. I don't even know what to recommend to you as being good or not. Sorry, wish I could help.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I actually have seen some of those panther production videos (I bought a few off of ebay out of curiousity). If you are referring to the ones made by Mikio Nushiuchi, he is a respected and highly skilled traditional martial artist. He actually was a student of Shinpo Matayoshi. Therefore, a lot of the kata is the more simple training kata from the Matayoshi weapons system. I actually have not seen that nunchaku one (although it's lying on my shelf), his videos do list all the various types of grips used. I think those techniques can easily be adapted to holding them closer to the end of the handle. If anything, I'm sure the different handle grip is more for it's grappling application than anything else. It may simply be his preference to do it that way.

The nunchaku, out of all the weapons of Okinawan kobudo are perhaps the least formalized. Therefore, it is not entirely surprising to see even this variation. I do have some of his other videos that I have watched as well, and they seem to have a lot of sound practice in them (even if some of the theories he presents on the origins of some weapons are the standard "myth" variety).

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Isn't it great wen u 1st start n u manage 2 string up some variations of catches n u tink u r d don :lol:

U said it yourself- ppl online describe Freestyle/ clown/ juggler style techniques that would have been neglected in the original ancient Chinese fighting art because it would be to ineffective. I practice practical Sern Jit Gwun/ Nunchaku and I know for sure that holding the Nunchaku by the head (near the rope/ chain) is far mor devastating. It also assists lightning spinning and linking. Limitation is that you lose the full length of the nunchaku to keep your opponent further at bay. I do Wing Chun so I prefer opponents closer to me.

Don't get me wrong its acceptable either way. Would u like to learn it for fun and be super crazy or learn it as an art and be super crazy. P.S. If you opt for Fun only and u dont like the knocks to your head or spine u might as well learn juggling balls ;P Think it's stupid the juggle them with fire. It'll b jus as impressive.

My website http://destined.to/nunchaku has instructions for beginners in learning to use nunchaku for self defence. Check it out

SAFE DUDE! :kaioken:

Isn't it great wen u 1st start n u manage 2 string up some variations of catches n u tink u r d don :lol:

Another graduate of the "Hooked on Phonics Works for Me" perhaps? :roll: Somebody add some more chlorine to the gene pool please. I think we're drastically low!

....and I know for sure that holding the Nunchaku by the head (near the rope/ chain) is far mor devastating.

Tell me you're kidding, right? You really believe that? I won't bother repeating previous posts by myself and many others that will tell you that you're incorrect.

Don't get me wrong its acceptable either way.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, but holding the nunchaku close to the rope/chain is NOT correct form or usage.

Would u like to learn it for fun and be super crazy or learn it as an art and be super crazy.

I want to learn to use it correctly, efficiently and powerfully. None of which you will get holding it near the rope/chain.

My website http://destined.to/nunchaku has instructions for beginners in learning to use nunchaku for self defence. Check it out

I did check it out. The video's wouldn't load for me, but I see how you're holding them in the initial pictures, and you are holding them incorrectly. Another thing I would point out, and this may be correct technique (looks like posing to me) in your system but not mine, is your hand sticking out to full extension. I love people that do that. Your ribs/torso and lower are exposed, and that hand/arm is easily grabbed, trapped, and you're screwed.

If somebody else can get into those video's, please post what you saw.

I have only taken one nunchaku workshop through my association, but one of the things I remember was that you only hold the nunchaku close to the chain when you are starting out and need more control. It was emphasized that this is more of a "cheating" technique, since it does provide more control, but starts to negate the nunchaku's effectivness and purpose. The whole reason there is a chain is to provide momentum for the striking end. The closer you hold to the chain, the less momentum you provide for the striking end. To use nunchaku effectively, you must hold close to the end of the stick, away from the chain. And if you want to use them with any skill, you should probably start learning to hold them near the end right away. Holding near the chain might make you look cool, and give you great control, but it means little if you were to ever use them.

And remember, nunchaku behave VERY differently when you are actually striking something (or someone). The sticks don't move smoothly through the air; they rebound off surfaces and you must have enough control to be able to recover from those rebounds. But if you are providing enough momentum to the stick (by holding at the end), you shouldn't have to worry about a lengthy fight; one strike from a properly held nunchaku is sufficient to break a bone or crack a skull.

Again, just my thoughts...

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

I remember was that you only hold the nunchaku close to the chain when you are starting out and need more control. It was emphasized that this is more of a "cheating" technique, since it does provide more control,

Wap

There we go! Holding the nunchaku near the chain/rope allows for CONTROL which was always the Key for me and for Beginners. Especially for most people on the web that jus do spins and stuff. Try hitting an object using a spin and I bet u the majority of you will fail and drop. I can catch it because ithe nunchaku's center of gravity is nearest to my hand (Cheating u can say lol).

As for the geezer that did an evaluation on my 1st message. THANX for the constructive comments lol! 1st of all, Install Flash 7 to view my movie clip tutorials (or jus wait a little longer if u got slow internet connection)

Umm about the holding the nunchaku at the tail or the head. OK! I dunno the majority of views here but jus striking ok so it ain't as powerful as a pulled back one. However, wen I execute a strike, it would only be when I have generated a powerful momentum beforehand. The nunchaku would literally be directed towards the target by touching my tricep and the energy is tremendous enough for me anyways. Whatever :P

Sorry if I stepped on anybody's tail, me jus joined ;P Also, the Nunchaku Inferno Photo with me holding the nunchaku up high is obviously not my fighting stance lol. It's jus for my website!

SAFE PPL! (I like dis forum, people answer so quick)

"Geezer"? Well, you young whippersnapper...I outta.... :D Did I call you names, such as a young punk? So let's not go there, OK?

Why would you want to teach bad technique from the start, such as holding the weapon clsoe to the rope/chain, and then down the road have to correct that mistake and re-teach good technique? This is no different than empty hand technique. You have to teach it correctly from the beginning or you will have more porblems in the future.

As for having more "control" holding it close to the rope/chain, yes you would, but only if you're interested in (and apparently that's your main focus) in doing flashy, ineffective technique. Holding and using the weapon as it was intended gives you plenty of control, but won't allow you to do flash as easily. The differance is in striking power. Your way will leave bruises and bumps on a person you strike. My way will crush skulls, break bones, and cripple my opponent. To each their own.

And like you said..."Whatever"...I have better things to do, like wash my socks, than to verbally spar with "baton twirlers" that don't understand basic physics principles.

Oh geeze..am I resorting to name calling now too? :roll: