• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

my friend mr. baton

Icetuete

hy all - you probably all do know those useful self defense weapons: batons.

there are many of them, like baseball bats or imrovised things like bottles, billard sticks...but i am talking about the real stuff, like the tonfa for example: http://www.mudokwan.at/drachen/images/tonfa.jpg

but i like this one best: the expendable baton!

http://www.electron.de/bilder/c-21.jpg

who here owns one of the above? when do you take them with you? why do/dont you do it?

how do you learn to use one effectivly, without taking arnis or something??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't personally own a baton, but am familiar with it and its use.

Knowledge of nerve centers is a good thing with these, as it is with any weapon, or you can just whack people with it.

I believe that spring loaded batons, outside of law inforcement, are illegal in the United States. You can purchase one that falls via gravity. I'm not positive on this though.

I have a rubber baton that I bought years ago from an Army-Navy store for $5 or so. I understand the Hong Kong Police used to use them. Believe me, that thing hurts like heck with little effort.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Shorinryu Sensei,

Have you studied the tonfa and or is it part of your school´s Shorin-ryu training.

At least, from my readings I thought weapons training such as for the use of the Tonfa and the Sai was incorporated into many traditional karate styles, i.e Kobudo.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

Shorinryu Sensei,

Have you studied the tonfa and or is it part of your school´s Shorin-ryu training.

At least, from my readings I thought weapons training such as for the use of the Tonfa and the Sai was incorporated into many traditional karate styles, i.e Kobudo.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

I practice and teach kobudo in this order:

bo

sai

tonfa

kama

nunchauku

I also dink around with niton bo, boken and the cane. If I could get my students to all get canes and bring them to class at the same time, we'd practice more things with them. A VERY useful and versatile weapon I think.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

ShorinryuSensei,

Thank you for the reply. Eventhough I am no where near the weapons training level in Wing Chun, I believe it to be an important aspect of MA training, the mastery of which helps even more in understanding of the unarmed techniques of one´s art.

I agree with you about the cane as well. It is a very practicle weapon and as far as I know it is not illegal to carry one around. Of course if you use it against an attacker you may have to justify why you were carrying it in the first place, or go into a fake limp.... :lol: :karate:

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

ShorinryuSensei,

I agree with you about the cane as well. It is a very practicle weapon and as far as I know it is not illegal to carry one around. Of course if you use it against an attacker you may have to justify why you were carrying it in the first place, or go into a fake limp.... :lol: :karate:

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Go for the fake limp and a trick knee. :brow: Carrying a cane is legal everywhere, but using it for defense might be anotehr story. It depends on how you use it. If you just block, trip or armbar with it, there shouldn't be a problem. If you beat the snot out of someone with it...then you're lawyer fodder. :o

Unfortunately where I live right now - eventhough it has its good points - there are more criminals and delinquents than cockroaches, however, FORTUNATELY the law does not protect them the way it does in some other parts of the world.

That is if the police find a mugger/thug in a pool of blood and a cane stuck in his du-da they are more likely to feel happy than feel concerned for his "human rights". Of course that is the police. The lawyers are another story ($$$$). Luckily they can´t do anything if the police does not take the matter any further, which they usually don´t.

Anyway, I have digressed.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

"Expendable" or extendable?

Maybe it's obvious to some (I actually think it is obvious), but I just wondered what you really meant? Expendable? As in, disposable and easily replaced? Or simply extendable, as in able to be extended?

;)

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

"Expendable" or extendable?

Maybe it's obvious to some (I actually think it is obvious), but I just wondered what you really meant? Expendable? As in, disposable and easily replaced? Or simply extendable, as in able to be extended?

;)

Wap

Expandable perhaps?