• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A bit discouraged..

Wickedwayz

Hi, i have been interested in martial arts for as long as i can remember but never could afford to learn till i was of age (18.) and moved out of my parents house . i studied Shotokan style karate in lake charles , louisiana , USA and have recently had to move to midland texas well the only style they seem to offer around here is tae kwon do and im not a big fan of high kicks , ive called the schools around and one of the instructors has assured me that mu duk kwan is very similar to shotokan , even tho as far as i can tell it is still a korean art can anyone confirm this ? also he offers a style hisen do ( never heard of it ) or does anyone know if there are any non-listed or underground schools or clubs in the midland/odessa area .. thats Texas, btw =D any info would be greatly appreciated thankyou.

~Never retreat, Always advance to the rear.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

...just because a person has trained in karate doesn't mean that they won't like Korean arts. There are several people on these forums who have trained in a Korean martial art, such as TKD and who have also trained in a Japanese martial art, such as Karate.

The best thing for you to do is to go to a place and try it out. However, if you go with the mindset that "it's not karate, I'm gonna hate it" then, yes, you WILL hate it. However, go with an open mind and accept that there will be differences between Shotokan and any other art. Heck, there are differences between one Shotokan club and another...

If you do decide to take up another martial art, then try not to keep comparing your old style with your new. Even if you find another Shotokan club, it isn't going to be exactly like the club you left. There are differences everywhere; you need to accept them before you can start to properly train again.

Anyway, I hope that you manage to find a martial arts club that you like. Try out a few styles and see which one you prefer. Even if you think you won't like TKD, then give it a go - you may be surprised... :karate: Good luck!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Hrm , well aefibird this school seems to think mu duk kwan is very similar to shotokan , some kata even retain japanese names , also he studied under a "shotokan master" for a few years and he teaches aikido which i saw listed under your styles , i tried to go by the school today (not thinking it was labor day) but ill try again he offers something called Hsien Do which i have never heard of but in the phone book is called "the ultimate art of self-defense" i think ill try that out for a bit i hope it will be like shotokan mixed with aikido with a tkd twist , ill post more when i find out . till then if anyone knows about hsien do , holla at me.

P.A.L.~ why in your opinion would i not like korean arts after training in Karate ..... just curious., personally i was considering training in kung-fu or a softer style to compliment my karate but once again mostly tkd around here,btw where was that kenpo school located around here im looking into kenpo style right after i post this =D

I just don’t try to be politically correct, My answer was practical if you enjoy a hard style normally you won’t change it for a softer style just because you moved, I have nothing against Korean styles and I am sure they pretty good, and also I don’t know your preferences, So my answer was very general. I changed from Shotokan since I didn’t like the Japanese deep stances I preferred more practical katas which I found in Shorin-ryu.

About the Kenpo ,I did some research for you and under ‘recreations and sports’ I saw a kenpo karate school in Midland

KERRY'S KENPO KARATE Kerry Hatley 10520 ECR 109 Midland, TX 79705 (915)685-0586

Good luck I hope you find a good Dojo, keep us posted.

Weren´t some of the basics of TKD adapted from Shotokan? That is what I have read anyway. So Wickedwayz, you may find familiarities within TKD. However, I am not saying that they are similar arts.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

Weren´t some of the basics of TKD adapted from Shotokan? That is what I have read anyway. So Wickedwayz, you may find familiarities within TKD. However, I am not saying that they are similar arts.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

tang soo do was adapted from karate. TKD came afterwards, when alot of political mess was going on in the kma world. TSD was "too japanese" and they wanted a style that would be a great sport and that was more of a reflection of korean style. Thus was born TKD. At least, that's my understanding of it. My first style was TSD.