• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats your favourite stance , Why?

my second favorite is the jkd on guard stance.

jkd had a stance? i always thought it was to stay on the ball of your foot so you can be more agile.

That's still a stance. boxers, thabi boxers, jkd, judo, etc. all have a "stance" just not really in the traditional sense. There is more to the jikd guard than being on the ball of the foot. It's in the alignment. power side is forward, lower half is bladed at an angle to the opponent, but the upper body is turned toward him. elbows down, shoulders relaxed, both hands lined up one behind the other.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno bout that....Nekoashi dachi (cat stance) is a very typical Okinawan fighting stance....it offers great mobility.

I think what vito is getting at is the fact that your weight is not balanced on both feet, but mainly on the rear. Even though you can attack from the front leg, you are more likely suscuptible to an onslaught of strikes, I'm guessing.

lol.....then sucker 'em in and break em up.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I like the JKD fighting stance in limitted sparring - but i find that for me, i don't know about anybody else, that it limits my ability to use elbows and knees, and to grapple and lock when nthey came in close... for instance. My mate Chris and i were sparring. He is a natural fighter and has very little martial arts skills... I started off in a jkd stance and kept him away with kicks and fast leading hand strikes - but i couldn't attack efficiently... So i went back to my A-game and into a semi-boxing stance, more open and manouverable... He ended up taking me to the ground, and after a minute of rolling around i put a crucifix armbar on him and that was all she wrote... I think i get the best balance out of the kickboxer/boxer stance... But in the street u sometimes don't have the time to put ur dukes up - unless u manage to get a bit of distance between the attacker and yourself. So i train a lot in just normal standing position, trying to throw punches and kicks with my hands at my side and as quickly as i can... It's a good way to train and u help yourself stop telegraphing strikes... At least that's what i've found.

Rick :karate: :up:

RJT: 2nd Degree Black Belt Freestyle Kickboxer - 3rd Gup HapKiDoist - 6th Kyu Zen Go Shu KarateKa

Just Kick Them, They'll Understand...

-TBK