• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats your favourite stance , Why?

For me, I'd have to say the reverse fighting stance. It's one that has suited me well over the past year, and I execute MOST of my techniques from. It's almost always sideways, and the lead hand hangs down at the hip to protect my forward ribs, and the back hand hangs high near my collarbone region. If I really feel like playing with my sparring partner, my hands will alternate their positions from the lead hand being up and back one down, and vise versa in broken rythm.

Because of the non-regidness of this stance, my feet are free to be open or closed as I see fit. To me, the best stance is the most versatile one.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horizontal, butt grounded- a totally relaxed posture. :karate:

My kiai in this stance is like "Grraaaakkkk!!!", then I do a Bruce Lee type of "ft-ft-ft!". :D

Seriously, I agree with most of you that stances should be in constant transition, with footwork.

Freedom isn't free!

just a plain ol' natural stance....nice and relaxed and ready to receive....and then ....give :-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I think its just a natural stance....could be wrong though....Im not JKD.

i like to stand like a boxer/thai boxer if im fighting- thats just being ready to fight. cat stance, i have to say, will likely get you beat down on the street.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

Dunno bout that....Nekoashi dachi (cat stance) is a very typical Okinawan fighting stance....it offers great mobility.