• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

high kicks in a fight

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
LOL, I'm a definite exception. I don't wear sandles, boots, jeans or dress shoes.

:o Nudist? :o

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

On the street :You kick high== they take you down.

I think in real situations %99 of people throw their snap kicks without quick retraction

Which gives the opponent a good chance of grabbing and take down.

On the street :You kick high== they take you down.

I would tend to think the opposite. In a street fight, are you more likely to fight against another skilled fighter, or is it going to be just some cocky lughead?

In competitions such as K-1 with relatively equally skilled fighters, whenever I've seen a high kick thrown, the opponent usually is trying to evade such a kick and is not in a position to effect a successful counter. Sometimes the kicks land successfully, but most times they are misses, and still, effective counters are few and far between. While takedowns are not allowed in K-1, the opponents are usually out of position anyways after taking evasive action from a high kick to be able to affect a counter, and you've bought yourself the recovery time.

I bet if you are fighting someone unskilled in fighting arts, then you will probably have great success with high kicks, even if you don't even manage to land one because you will put extreme doubt in the other person's mind whether he can still take you.

I think it all depends on your skill level whether high kicks are effective, and not something to be afraid of using if you know how to use them. Remember, if you doubt your abilities, that doubt is usually justified. If you follow the train of thought that high kicks are to be avoided at all costs, you may simply be short changing yourself of a pretty effective weapon.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Nah, seriously I just don't wear that stuff. Where I work, the dress code is business casual, and that's what I wear to work, out to dinner, etc. - baggy dress slacks or khakis, button down club shirts, polo shirts and t shirts, some type of leather shoe - timberland, bass, etc. which have good traction. If I'm just going to the store or somewhere more laid back, It's sneakers, very baggy jogging pants or elastic waist karate pants I still have from my TMA days - like XXL and XXXL, and baggy t shirts and tank tops....I don't own any of the items G95 mentioned. I need to change that though - I think it's weird that I don't own a pair of jeans... I'm gonna have to buy some soon.

I would tend to think the opposite. In a street fight, are you more likely to fight against another skilled fighter, or is it going to be just some cocky lughead?

that's a good point, but the thing is, you don't know - better safe than sorry.

In competitions such as K-1 with relatively equally skilled fighters, whenever I've seen a high kick thrown, the opponent usually is trying to evade such a kick and is not in a position to effect a successful counter. Sometimes the kicks land successfully, but most times they are misses, and still, effective counters are few and far between. While takedowns are not allowed in K-1, the opponents are usually out of position anyways after taking evasive action from a high kick to be able to affect a counter, and you've bought yourself the recovery time.[/b

Like you said, take downs aren't allowed. In san shou, a waist level kick may likely result in a kick catch and you getting swept. In UFC and Pride, waist level or above - heck even lower than waist level in many cases - and you are getting taken down. I landed a head kick in a fight last month, but it was kickboxing, not MMA. If it was an MMA match , I woulda been put on my butt most likely.

I bet if you are fighting someone unskilled in fighting arts, then you will probably have great success with high kicks, even if you don't even manage to land one because you will put extreme doubt in the other person's mind whether he can still take you.

I think you can have success with them, but not because of doubt. Especially if the attacker's intent was to seriously hurt you in the first place. you'll have success because he ideally will not know how to deal with them and you are able to land a hard enough kick to take him out.

Yeap you are the exception but for the rest of us normal working folk I think my six were pretty good lol...

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Dlopez, Hey man long time no see.

about the K-1 that you mentioned the difference is glove ,key to karate take down is grabbing the hand or shoulder of the same leg, you can't do this with gloves on.

Rest of the story I am agree with you and SEVENSTAR