• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

starting muay thai pretty soon!

after passing my belt test in TKD i decided im going to quit since i finally talked my way into doing muay thai with my mother. i checked out a muay thai gym that is the most closest to me and is at a community center. 45$ a month no contract. so im going for it.

i may ask what i should buy for equipment for both classes and home training. yet im on a budget, i only have 100 dollars to spend. also what should i expect in a muay thai class. how is it different to other martial art classes? also do i even have a chance in muay thai? im 15 and a 100 pounds, im not the most athletic person, i dont usually play football or baseball because im afraid of the ball, and everyone picks on me. although i tend to do very well in tkd in my opinion, in both sparring and learning techniques, which surprised me.

thanks alot.

Any fighter can fight their best when fresh, it matters when your not.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

a heavy bag would definitely do him some good, however, he may not have an area to hang one. There are some things you may or may not need for the class - things you should own anyway, IMO, regardless of whether or not the school has them:

jump rope

gloves

thai pads

focus mitts

head gear

things you will eventually HAVE to get:

mouthpiece

cup

If I was limited to $100 and had to get some things now, I'd get

gloves

mouthpiece

jump rope

cup

I make it a must to have my own gloves - I air them out and clean them. Too many sweaty hands have been in the gloves at the school, and they don't get aired out. Consequently, they smell like buttcrack.

HAVE to have mouthpiece and cup indeed. probably gloves too, and it sure wouldnt hurt to have wrist and ankle wraps. (this should go over 50 bucks total.) as for preparation- get into the best cardio shape you can for now, because youre going to need it.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• 3 weeks later...

Hey as far as equipment goes, a cup and mouthpiece is a must ofcourse. Since you are on a budget check with the gym and see what equipment they will supply. In time you will want to be sure to have the following for Muay Thai training

Cup/groing protector

Mouthpiece

Shin Insteps (fairtex prostyle are nice/ a little spendy but worth it)

Gloves (ask your instructor what Oz. they require for their sparring)

Thai Shorts

head gear (depending on school)

Trust me about the shin insteps they help prevent injury and allow you to have more intense training sessions. Some people will tell you not to use them because you need to condition your shins, but keep in mind that is why we do shin conditioning drills!!!!!

Check with the instructor and ask them about what equipment you need and if they offer any specials to students.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Topics right see if you like it before speding.

But if you dont like Muay Thai, then there might be something wrong because not only is it brutal, realistic, awsome workout, power packed style its just plain old fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!