• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is a continuuation of the other post on Scissor squeeze.

I have trained with this guy who has done judo and bjj and he knows how to apply scissor technqiues. They do work, but applying them from the guard is useless.

Scissor techniques are very strong but they have to be applied correctly. Around the body you can apply them in two ways.

1. From the guard you can turn your body so your legs are around his/her back and stomach instead of their sides, and then straighten the legs. This isn't nessarily a submission, but is extremly painfull and very hard to breath, this allows for other submission atempts like arm bar, but you can submitt people with this.

2. From the back mount where you go for the rear naked choke you can apply a body triangle. This really crushes the internal organs and is a low percentege submission.

But for actuall submissions they can be applied to the neck as seen below

http://www.bjj.org/techniques/jen/tech4/

and to the head, and even the face so it acts as an arm bar.

This is also an interesting article on the scissor

http://www.wvmat.com/welker/scissors.htm

What are your thoughts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I personally think the body scissors is a joke. A fully grown man used to the pain of grappling likely wouldn't submit to a body scissors. The pic you posted is a good one though - it's not a body scissors - it's a reverse triangle - a variation of the triangle choke.

It's not exactly a reverse triangle -- he doesn't have the arm. It's more of a rear naked choke with the legs. (Yeah, obviously the figure 4 is there, but it's a little different). It looks like it might put more pressure on the jaw than anything.

Eye of the tiger: If you ever, ever, get someone over 12 years old to tap to a body scissors of any sort, THEN tell us about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to agree with the others on this. I had to learn them at one point in my training inorder to progress but they are not a perfered method in no way. Atleast not in my book, but each individual is different.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

• 1 month later...

i think BJJ is rubish and i dont think that sissors work so eye of the tiger or should i say lee as that is your name not neil and i think your basic wad a ryu is the best form of karate mixed in with your instructors knowladge of street fighting is the best and i am dumbfounded by your knowladge of anything

sama organisation rok

it's ok that you believe that. but why are you in a thread about scissors contained in a forum for jujitsu?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

i think BJJ is rubish and i dont think that sissors work

Yes- a scissors can work-although I had nevered seen one used in a bar room brawl or streetfight. I don't know of any competitions that allow them.

so eye of the tiger or should i say lee as that is your name not neil and i think your basic wad a ryu is the best form of karate mixed in with your instructors knowladge of street fighting is the best

First, if it is basic Wado ryu, how can it be the best?

Second, you state that it is a best form of karate mixed with streetfighting and its best (again)

Third, you state:

and i am dumbfounded by your knowladge of anything

But if he is learning "the best", how can his knowledge be dumbfounded?

It's not exactly a reverse triangle -- he doesn't have the arm. It's more of a rear naked choke with the legs. (Yeah, obviously the figure 4 is there, but it's a little different). It looks like it might put more pressure on the jaw than anything.

Eye of the tiger: If you ever, ever, get someone over 12 years old to tap to a body scissors of any sort, THEN tell us about it.

Your exactly right, it's not a reverse triangle it's a variation of yoko sankaku jime or scissors choke. With this choke you don't need the persons arm to serve as the aid for the choke because the crook of the back of your knee is the base and your lower leg and calf region put the pressure on the carotid in effect making it like a naked choke with the leg. It can be apllied from several positions in combination with an armbar for a really nasty effect.

http://judoinfo.com/images/yokosankaku.gif

I'm only going to ask you once...